Line 1 Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Might be easier and you may get better answers by doing a search on this site for line 1's. We used to have some top notch Hereford guys here and the subject was well discussed in detail a few years back. I could try to explain it but all it would accomplish is showing how much I don't know. Lol. Line 1's are basically a herd developed through selective line breeding or breeding a pair who are closely related, but not too close..... Grandfather to granddaughter for example. The goal is to improve the animals best traits..... Like I said you may get better understanding through a search, line breeding is not to be confused with incest.

IIRC, the Line "X" designations came from research done at MARC (Meat Animal Research Center) in Montana many years ago. Different lines were isolated for particular traits and line bred accordingly. Line 1 is the most common seen today, along with Line 3, I believe. We've got an old Line 5 bull, just turned 12 years old this past spring and still doing his job.