Lincoln Ranger best?

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Well I think I have decide to bite the bullet and buy a generator/welder. This is what I'm looking at: https://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/lincoln-ranger-250-gxt-engine-welder-generator-k2382-4/?sku=K2382-4&msclkid=84afc53c41001c823e75a50c52ef14c3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP Shop - Catch All&utm_term=4575892518913700&utm_content=Catch All
I can buy it locally just a little cheaper, but not much. I have always had good luck with Lincoln.
Is there any other options out there that some of you like better? It's going to be mounted on a flat bed trailer. Hauled from project to project, and used to run the well when we have long power outages.

Thanks everyone.

Looks like a good welder. Might check out the 260 MPX and compare. I've had a Miller Trailblazer 302 for about 12 yrs with no trouble but would definitely look at Lincoln next time too.

A lincoln ranger 15 years ago turned me off lincoln for good. Spent more time in the shop than on the truck.
We run miller bobcat 250 on trailer and the little hobart 145s are on the flatbeds. Both miller and hobart migs in shop. No more Lincoln for me.
Really been eyeing the miller airpack machines...spendy but will be my next welder.

Last edited:
I've decided the same, but I'm going to use one of these and use our lincoln welder from the shop we've had for years. Strap them down on the trailer and go, can't bring myself to spend the big money for something I'll use here and there. If I were a pro, using it everyday, different story.

A lincoln ranger 15 years ago turned me off lincoln for good. Spent more time in the shop than on the truck.
We run miller bobcat 250 on trailer and the little hobart 145s are on the flatbeds. Both miller and hobart migs in shop. No more Lincoln for me.
Really been eyeing the miller airpack machines...spendy but will be my next welder.
What part of the ranger gave you problems? The engine or the welder? I looked at a the specs on a Miller. Looks like they use a kohler engine, same as the Lincoln.

What part of the ranger gave you problems? The engine or the welder? I looked at a the specs on a Miller. Looks like they use a kohler engine, same as the Lincoln.
Been awhile back but mostly fuel system and electrical. A fuel shut off solenoid in the carb gave multiple problems. No major engine issues.
Maybe just bad luck or a lemon.
At the time it was my only machine so when it went down it was a big deal. Made me hate it. You know how that works...lol

When the bobcats came out years ago, they took a major share from Lincolns big machines. They rushed a comparable product to market which just wasn't a very good machine.
The company I worked for had some of both but eventually went to all Millers and still does to this day. This is a company that probably has 200 in their fleet.
I would guess that they are about the same today but you do see a lot more Millers than Lincolns.

I have a Bobcat that is about 10 years old with a Kawasaki motor. It has ran fine with no issues but I don't put a lot of hours on one. I think they now just offer Kohlers.

I notice that most smaller welders like the Bobcats and Rangers that you see in Jpickups are Miller. The bigger welding machines on job sites seem to be Lincolns. Not really sure why this is as I haven't heard anyone have trouble out of either brand in years. When we do major outages there will be a 50-75 welders onsite running nearly 24/7 for 30 + days. I've never seen one break down yet. I will say the Miller Bobcats/Trailblazers with the Kubota diesel make an awful hum that drives me nuts after a few hours.

If guys weld round stuff they want nothing but red. If it's structural steel they want blue. Both are good for comparable units just pick the one that fits your needs, it's a Ford vs Chevy thing. If you are going to do heavy high amp welding or gouging get a heavier machine. If you plan to use for home backup just remember they will burn about a gallon an hour and it adds up pretty fast.

Well I think I have decide to bite the bullet and buy a generator/welder. This is what I'm looking at: https://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/lincoln-ranger-250-gxt-engine-welder-generator-k2382-4/?sku=K2382-4&msclkid=84afc53c41001c823e75a50c52ef14c3&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP Shop - Catch All&utm_term=4575892518913700&utm_content=Catch All
I can buy it locally just a little cheaper, but not much. I have always had good luck with Lincoln.
Is there any other options out there that some of you like better? It's going to be mounted on a flat bed trailer. Hauled from project to project, and used to run the well when we have long power outages.

Thanks everyone.
Sorry to go off topic, but I just have to know.... Do the first three letters in your handle stand for 'short bald mother'?

My pipeliner friends tell me that if u show up to test with a Miller they will laugh you off the job site. Seems like "serious welders" have to have a Lincoln and people who don't make a living with mostly the welder itself buy Miller. Just observation, I'm not a real welder. Like everyone else I see a lot of blue on service trucks and red on pipeliner trucks.

Have about 1500 hours on a Lincoln Ranger 225.

It did have an issue early on and stopped generating. It was repaired under warranty and has been fine since.

My pipeliner friends tell me that if u show up to test with a Miller they will laugh you off the job site. Seems like "serious welders" have to have a Lincoln and people who don't make a living with mostly the welder itself buy Miller. Just observation, I'm not a real welder. Like everyone else I see a lot of blue on service trucks and red on pipeliner trucks.
Yes .. apparently to pipeline you have to have a new "old style" Lincoln with chrome accessories. Big mud tires on your dooly and 12" stacks...

''Yes .. apparently to pipeline you have to have a new "old style" Lincoln with chrome accessories. Big mud tires on your dooly and 12" stacks...''

And a lot of money

I learned to weld structurals on a Lincoln SA200. That old machine and I put up numerous buildings. The company paid $4000 for it back in about 1985. I will admit that it put out a way smoother bead than my little Bobcat. They would strike an arc and hold the arc very easily. It made it simple to learn and with a 7018 rod I could teach someone to flat weld in an hour. The darn thing was heavy though and drank a lot of fuel.

Sorry to go off topic, but I just have to know.... Do the first three letters in your handle stand for 'short bald mother'?
Smith Bovine Management Firm est. 2015
Besides my own cow/calf operation I've been herdsman for a neighbor for the past 20years. Also manage his feed lot and a separate feed lot for some one else. And consult for two other beef operations.
In the past I sorted/graded cattle for ten years in the highest grossing sale barn in the state at that time, and worked for the sale barn vet.
I used to lay my hands/eyes on 25,000 he of cattle a year.

Latest posts