Limping Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I just bought a 16month old Brangus bull and my neighbor's bigger bull came over and beat the sense out of him and left him limping. He appears to have a bad back leg. Looks like it may be broken or at least fractured. Its swollen and he stays down most of the time.
I called my vet and he said to wait until Tuesday to see if he gets better. If not, to call him then.
The leg is not sagging so it may only be fractured.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever had thim happen? I was very distressed because I just bought him and now his wounded.

Andrew

if he is just limping & everything looks in the right place it will probably be alright in time. had one brangus last year hurt a front knee & it was swelled from july til february but he never seemed to favor it much. what does neighor say about it

My neighbor is a great guy. He said he'd look at the bull himself and make it right; if something happens to the bull. In fact, I bought the bull from him.
Its just that I feel sorry for the bull. I never had a bull before and I'm afraid the coyotes will get him when he's down.

Andrew

Too bad it's his back leg. I would give it a little time also, but not a whole lot of time. If he's in bad enough shape that he couldn't fight off coyotes at his age then I would guess it would be best to sell or slaughter him.

Craig-TX

if your neighbor will make him good and has some more bulls, maybe you could take him back and get another.

just a thought

jt

I appreciate the responses. I will give him a few days.

I understand now why they call "bullies" by that name.

Thanks,
Andrew

I just bought a 16month old Brangus bull and my neighbor's bigger bull came over and beat the sense out of him and left him limping.

I'm afraid you havn't saw the end of your troubles. When you have some cows come in that bull will be back. Probally this time they will mess up your fence pretty good.

Andrew,
Get that bull away from the cows...if one comes in to estrus..he will try to breed and may hurt himself further....before healing. It's a hormonial thing. 8) :lol:

I would at least try to keep him in a closed area for a few days so as not to do a lot of walking on it, give a little time to heal....just a thought

Basicly what they all just said ..i. your neighbour is will ing to set things right then maybe you could call the vets out on emergency it would cost more but your neighbour could get the bill....just a thought. :)

I thought it was ok to run bulls together. I thought two bulls would eventually work things out. I thought .......None of that is what I thought. I think your bull is stifled and is useless. If the swelling is below the hip and above the hock then look for a different bull. The good thing is right now salvage bulls are high. I guess replacements are too. I don't really see that your neighbor owes you any money. Bulls fight . That is one of their traits. If you have to run them across the fence there needs to be space between them bordered by hot wire on both sides. I would save my money on vet bills. You don't have much of a vet that won't come anyway.

preston39":27abljhf said:
Get that bull away from the cows...if one comes in to estrus..he will try to breed and may hurt himself further....
Yeah, or you messin' with him trying to get him away from the cows may hurt him further. Probably a lot more likely. Leave the bull alone and let him do what bulls do---try to heal up on his own. So he can scrap again or breed again.

I've had a lot of hurt bulls over the years. Without a broken leg or broken hip, most of them get over it. And they just have to tough it out until they do. My crippled bulls always have enough sense to lay around away from the cows until they get healed up. A crippled bull usually has no more interest in fightin' or breeding cows. S'pose Texas bulls are a helluva lot smarter than Kentucky bulls?

LOL

First we would have to know if the texas bulls "know" they are in texas. If they know that then yes texas bulls are smarter than ky bulls. If they dont it could just be your personal bulls are smarter.

MD

The injured bull is in a 40 ac tract all by himself. The cows are on an adjacent 40 ac tract. The bigger bull jumps the fence at will and apparently breeds the cows. I'm not entirely sure the hot fence will keep that bull out, unless its a very hight fence. That will be my next project.

I'm sure my neighbor and I will come to a solution.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew

I'm sure my neighbor and I will come to a solution

Sounds like this had better happen soon, or you and your neighbour will have the same herd.

Bez

My bull is making a good recovery. He is walking all the time now and is able to put weight on the bad left. He limps a bit but gets around fine. He just has this swollen area on the inner tigh but is already chasing after the cows.
I also put up a hot wire so hopefully the bigger bull will stay out..

If your neighbors bull is jumping the fence and breeding your cows, and he is the same neighbor you bought your bull from, then do you really need your own bull? Why not just let the neighbors bull breed your cows for free? ;-)

Sometimes he moves the bull to other pastures. Additionally, he's afraid he tear his sheath jumping over 5ft barbed wire. However, I'm not sure how he can prevent it. A bull that size will do as he pleases.
On my part, I have another pasture that I also graze them on and I'm afraid the bull will not smell them that far away; plus I just want to have my own bull.