LimoX Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I currently have strait limo cows but have purchased two Black Simmental heifers and was wondering how this cross would work as well as how well it won't. I am also gonna bred this bull with two 2nd calf hereford cows. The herefords are large framed and the bull is a black Limo bull. Thank You

[email protected]

In my opinion using two continental breeds will give you some heterosis, but it won't do anything for carcass qualities. The Hereford cross will give you a little better (i.e. higher quality grade) carcass but more heterosis.

dunmovin farms

> I currently have strait limo cows
> but have purchased two Black
> Simmental heifers and was
> wondering how this cross would
> work as well as how well it won't.
> I am also gonna bred this bull
> with two 2nd calf hereford cows.
> The herefords are large framed and
> the bull is a black Limo bull.
> Thank You

I apologize in advance, this will sound like breed bashing, but it's just my experience. You're taking two high octane temperment (possibly) breeds and combining, to produce one of the potentially craziest set of calves imaginable. I've seen the cows clear a 6 foot fence and it didn't wobble. The calves were uncontrollable in a decent chute--they'd flip and kick upward when lying on their backs and could potentially choke or break their necks. And just think of combining the limo "shut my eyes and run through the person" with the simmy bone.... There would be little growth to gain and a whole lot of things to lose.

Not sure were "Vicki" had this experience with Simmental cattle. Having worked with and clipped cattle from nearly all of the prominent breeds in the U.S., I would say (without hesitation) that Simmental cattle, as a breed, are the most docile, rivaled only by Polled Herefords. Please tell us what your statements are based on, Vicki. As far as answering the original post, I also have experience with the Limi-Simi cross. We had a few PB Limi cows in the late 80's. To be honest with you, we got rid of them because of the dispositions. However, when mated to a Simmental bull, the Simmental took nearly all of the "spark" out of them. The 1/2 blood cows were perfectly fine to work with, and were definitely some of the best producers that we ever owned in terms of producing high performing calves. Can't tell you anything about the carcass data, as we didn't follow them through at that time. But you will not be disappointed in them as mother cows. Hope that answered you question.

>

what is heterosis? h In my opinion using two
> continental breeds will give you
> some heterosis, but it won't do
> anything for carcass qualities.
> The Hereford cross will give you a
> little better (i.e. higher quality
> grade) carcass but more heterosis.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

Hybred vigor. What allows the calf to have more growth etc. then you would if breeding two closely related breeds. Very little heterosis is realized with britsh to british breeding or continental to continental breeding. As long as they are two different breeds you get some, cross british and continental and you realize more. Through in Brahman and you get the most.

dunmovin farms

> Thank You

You could try crossin them with a Murray Grey Bull to get a better temperment and weight gain.

Ok, I bred simmentals for years. Fullbloods mainly, a few purebreds. Showed several, which were almost always of the best temperment. Disposition was not a problem for us but some bloodlines (ie Fame) were notorious. Also, as a large animal veterinarian, I've seen a LOT of cattle. Simmies have earned the title "some mentals" because the majority are kittens and others are sabre toothed tigers. Where have I worked with sim/lims? Several herds had the misfortune of creating this combo then had to have me out to do work on them because they were unloadable and untouchable. My experience would far exceed yours, I imagine. I happen to really like simmentals, just not that combination. As I stated above, this is MY experience.

Vicki,

I didn't intend to question the amount of experience that you had, though I have had totally different experiences. I assume that you would agree with the statement that..."there are some bad dispositioned cattle in every breed." I know that in my area, Simmental would not be a breed that high strung individuals would be considered the norm. Plese let me know what breeds you consider to be the most calm, and I am curious what area of the country you are from. As an added note, the toughest clipping jobs that I ever had were a sale of purebred Angus heifers, and a sale of Saler females. A lot of "Chute- Shakers."

The hottest tempered breeds? I've found that certain bloodlines in each breed are known to be particularly hot. What happens to the commercial man is a breeder getting rid of the "bad" stock and then the hot stuff gets propagated as crossbred. (again, my opinion) In general, out West there are more "range" type cattle that resist handling and do best being left alone. Out East, where there are smaller pastures and they have to be handled, they're generally easier being handled. That being said, the worst cattle I've ever seen are mongrel crossbreds which have never been handled here in Ontario (Canada) where the really "poor manager" excuse of a farmer would chase them into a swamp if he had to catch them. No specific breed there, just incredibly poor management. (Which I think is a major cause in a lot of cases.) Individual breeds? A lot of people feel if you get a bad polled hereford, you've got the worst animal imaginable. I disagree, although there are some scary ones out there. Some lines of Simmental (Canadian Salvatore, Fame, some Extra daughters...) mainly Pie Rouge lines from France (the Montbiliard cattle are smaller and much quieter, as were the Swiss lines) are downright scary--picture a 2000 lb cow coming at you with brains..... Limos--they're breeding the nuts out of them but I've had a limo cow with a prolapsed uterus charge me--I backed up the chute to get her caught. Generally pretty hot. Angus--some lines have great growth and horrible temperment. Most breeders will be able to tell you which lines to avoid. Hereford- Most are good (vast majority) but the odd bad actor Charolais...generally very quiet but some are scary Chianina--not enough around for me to judge Maines--some nuts, some quiet like all breeds Salers (my husband calls them hairy Limos--enough said) Scottish Highland--when bad they're really bad--and 3 foot horns.... Blondes--generally good belgian blues--generally good the worst for me would be 2 hot breeds crossbred, such as sim/lim then add some angus..... Again, Just MY humble opinion V

> Vicki,

> I didn't intend to question the
> amount of experience that you had,
> though I have had totally
> different experiences. I assume
> that you would agree with the
> statement that..."there are
> some bad dispositioned cattle in
> every breed." I know that in
> my area, Simmental would not be a
> breed that high strung individuals
> would be considered the norm.
> Plese let me know what breeds you
> consider to be the most calm, and
> I am curious what area of the
> country you are from. As an added
> note, the toughest clipping jobs
> that I ever had were a sale of
> purebred Angus heifers, and a sale
> of Saler females. A lot of
> "Chute- Shakers."

All I gotta say, is let me tell you something Vicki!!! If you've never raised Limo or Simmental,then keep your mouth shut. We raise purebred Limo's and honestly, they are the biggest pets ever!! Livestock auction marts used to have that opinion on Limo's years and years ago, but now they love limo's. They say that they do have a good temperment and they find them not any different to handle than any other breed. Feedlots, PFRA and community pastures are turning towards limo more and more every year. We supply over 20 bulls to the PFRA in our area every year. I have young sisters and cousin (that are about 4-10yrs old) and they can go out in the corrals with the limo's and walk up to ever animal and pet them. We have over 700 limos. We also have about 10 simmental, one is a little high strung, but the rest are all very quiet and easy to handle cows. You do get the odd high strung cow, but that is in every breed. Our more flighty cows are the angus we raise, but that could be the genetics or how they were brought up by others (since our angus are all bought in). Most of my buddies have angus and they do very well with them and they also have very quiet and great to handle angus.

> All I gotta say, is let me tell
> you something Vicki!!! If you've
> never raised Limo or
> Simmental,then keep your mouth
> shut.

Hey Jo, LIGHTEN UP! There was no need to start your post with such an unhospitable recommendation to Vicki. She has been a frequent and important contributor to this forum, and her comments were based on observations of Limo/Simm crosses in her capacity as a vet if not as an actual crossbred raiser. Showing civility to those with whom we disagree is a great attribute.

At various times I've raised Chiangus, Hereford, Brangus, Brahman, Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis and Charbray. And I am surrounded by Simmental raisers, one of which switched to Limo bulls about two years ago, much to his chagrin. I've never had or seen a wild Hereford. But as to all the other breeds mentioned, almost all of mine have been perfectly behaved and dispositioned animals, but I've had the occasional wild ass in all those breeds. I never keep the progeny of a wild animal. By and large it all depends on how you treat them from the outset.

Jo. I'll just let you know my credentials one more time 1) I was a breeder of fullblood Simmental cattle for several years. 2) I'm a large animal veterinarian and have been for over 16 years. 3) I'm in an area where Limo cross calves are prized. 4) I see a heck of a lot of Limo cross calves....thousands and thousands.....

I have not at any time said that all Simmies are nuts. There are some bloodlines, though, that are very hot. If you knew more about the breed, you'd know that. Limos are the only breed I know of in Canada which has a temperment EPD. There's a reason for this, which if you thought for a minute, it would occur to you. I said that with sim/lims one was potenially creating a mess, not definitely. Two continental breeds will have less heterosis than british x continental. I have one heck of a lot more experience in this than you feel I do and as I've stated, this is JUST MY EXPERIENCE! So unless you really wish to look foolish, consider the facts and don't blow your top without realizing them. Have a nice day. V

> Hey Jo, LIGHTEN UP! There was no
> need to start your post with such
> an unhospitable recommendation to
> Vicki. She has been a frequent and
> important contributor to this
> forum, and her comments were based
> on observations of Limo/Simm
> crosses in her capacity as a vet
> if not as an actual crossbred
> raiser. Showing civility to those
> with whom we disagree is a great
> attribute.

> At various times I've raised
> Chiangus, Hereford, Brangus,
> Brahman, Beefmaster, Santa
> Gertrudis and Charbray. And I am
> surrounded by Simmental raisers,
> one of which switched to Limo
> bulls about two years ago, much to
> his chagrin. I've never had or
> seen a wild Hereford. But as to
> all the other breeds mentioned,
> almost all of mine have been
> perfectly behaved and
> dispositioned animals, but I've
> had the occasional wild ass in all
> those breeds. I never keep the
> progeny of a wild animal. By and
> large it all depends on how you
> treat them from the outset.

COME ON GUYS AND GALS, WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT. WERE ALL INTITLED TO OUR OPIONS, LETS JUST DON'T GET EXCITED. LIFE TO SHORT FOR THIS NONSENCE.DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.BOTH OF YOU ARE A ASSET TO THIS INFO. SITE.GOD BLESS

[email protected]

I had cross Full blood Simmental cows with a Full blood Limo bull and got great results, in your cross you will have an Angus influnce so maybe the results will vary from mines but think will be great too. In my personal opinion if you are crossing black Simm.-black Limo you shoould do it better with an Angus bull, will be a better cross. With your herfords cows, I don't have to much experiance with herefords but think it will work O.K.

> Thank You

[email protected]

Latest posts