limousins

Help Support CattleToday:

> can limousins be any color? What
> is the price range for 2000 pound
> limousin bull?Thanks Limousins can be red or black, no white on them though. The price depends on the bull, his pedigree, the shape he's in, if he's a proven breeder and where you live. Try to ask a neighbour or friend they might have a better idea for where you are, or they might go and look with you. Hope this helps

Del

> can limousins be any color? What
> is the price range for 2000 pound
> limousin bull?Thanks You can look at this web sites description under breeds. If the animal doesn't fit that description his crossed up with something else I actually have one that's a red brindle color. He's crossed with full blooded limo bull and a brangus cow.

Weight isn't enough to consider price. Age, quality of the animal overall, and what the market is bringing will dictate your price. Full blooded bulls bring a better price usually. I just sold a beautiful limo/brangus 4 year old at a price of $1032 @ 1900 lbs. Hope that gives you some idea, but your market may vary.

This year we had calves born from registered Limousin bulls bred to full-blood Limousin cows. None of the blacks have stayed black... some almost being a dun color. The red is more honey colored than red. I don't consider any of the colors good. We used a black bull for the last five years and then last year, we threw in a red bull, and viola.... we are the only ones who know they are Limousin. In our case, we have to decide if we are going to raise beef or Limousin... I'm thinking... let's throw in a Charlois. And forget that we ever wanted Limousin animals.

[email protected]

Welcome to the world of diluter color genes. Red with a diluter gene is almost a yellow, in Braunvieh the diluter gene causes brindle..You can really get some strange color combinations and diluters are unrelated to normal color genes. Gee, ain't it fun.

dunmovin farms

> This year we had calves born from
> registered Limousin bulls bred to
> full-blood Limousin cows. None of
> the blacks have stayed black...
> some almost being a dun color. The
> red is more honey colored than
> red. I don't consider any of the
> colors good. We used a black bull
> for the last five years and then
> last year, we threw in a red bull,
> and viola.... we are the only ones
> who know they are Limousin. In our
> case, we have to decide if we are
> going to raise beef or Limousin...
> I'm thinking... let's throw in a
> Charlois. And forget that we ever
> wanted Limousin animals.

> This is a little unusual for limis if they are purbred being bred to purebred. But a black bull that has the red gene will act all most as a red bull on fullblood cows , only getting a few black calves maybe 25%. I dont know where the odd colors came from if all the cattle were fullblood and purebred. I still bet the thickness was there regardless of the color . the buyers know good cattle when they see it , they aint buying the hide they are buying whats under it. I have not ever seen beef for sale with the hide on it at the store or butcher shop.

This year we had calves born from
> registered Limousin bulls bred to
> full-blood Limousin cows. None of
> the blacks have stayed black...
> some almost being a dun color. The
> red is more honey colored than
> red. I don't consider any of the
> colors good. We used a black bull
> for the last five years and then
> last year, we threw in a red bull,
> and viola.... we are the only ones
> who know they are Limousin. In our
> case, we have to decide if we are
> going to raise beef or Limousin...
> I'm thinking... let's throw in a
> Charlois. And forget that we ever
> wanted Limousin animals.

[email protected]

If I am going to have this rainbow, not really any color get, then I would just as soon cross with something that is REALLY colorful.... unfortunately, I have to keep telling myself: It is about the BEEF! I may just keep with the Limousin and learn to enjoy "diluter" genes. Will say, though... those dun looking things out in the pasture sure have some RUMPS on them! Can't fault the conformation or the grow.

[email protected]

We have been using registered black Limousin bulls and trading back and forth with black Angus bulls. The black Angus definitely throws black more often but we've also got all black calves out of a black Limousin bull. My cows are crosses; Angus, Charolais, hereford and etc. We top the sales with both crosses, Angus and Limo.

[email protected]

we bought a registered black limo bull that was 2 years old and weighed about 2000 for $1450 had nice frame and huge butt, hope this helps

Latest posts