Limousins suck!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is a warning to anyone who has ever or who will ever consider owning cattle of the Limousin breed. I have recently sold the very last Limousin cow and bull I will ever own. They will never work for any commercial cattleman, EVER! The cows are coarse unfeminine, hard keeping, bad tempered and poor milking. The bulls are bad structured, bad tempered (CRAZY as HELL) and hard keeping as well. The resulting calves are slow growing unless you can creep feed the hell out of them and they will always be smaller than a calf of a different breed which is the same age because a Limousin cow will not milk. No matter what you cross them with the bad traits are passed on as well. This is just a warning to anyone who does not want to waste time money and hard work on a breed of cattle that can't survive. I got screwed and I wanted to help others to not have the same fate. The Limousin slogan " Get more muscle for less" is a buch of crap, you will pay for that muscle, and pay dearly at that. I have switched back to Simmental and Charolais bulls on my crossbred cows and I have started using Braunvieh and Gelbvieh bulls with much more success. Heed the Warning.

Maybe you just got some sorry cattle? There are sorry cattle in every breed.

> This is a warning to anyone who
> has ever or who will ever consider
> owning cattle of the Limousin
> breed. I have recently sold the
> very last Limousin cow and bull I
> will ever own. They will never
> work for any commercial cattleman,
> EVER! The cows are coarse
> unfeminine, hard keeping, bad
> tempered and poor milking. The
> bulls are bad structured, bad
> tempered (CRAZY as HELL) and hard
> keeping as well. The resulting
> calves are slow growing unless you
> can creep feed the hell out of
> them and they will always be
> smaller than a calf of a different
> breed which is the same age
> because a Limousin cow will not
> milk. No matter what you cross
> them with the bad traits are
> passed on as well. This is just a
> warning to anyone who does not
> want to waste time money and hard
> work on a breed of cattle that
> can't survive. I got screwed and I
> wanted to help others to not have
> the same fate. The Limousin slogan
> " Get more muscle for
> less" is a buch of crap, you
> will pay for that muscle, and pay
> dearly at that. I have switched
> back to Simmental and Charolais
> bulls on my crossbred cows and I
> have started using Braunvieh and
> Gelbvieh bulls with much more
> success. Heed the Warning.

[email protected]

> " Get more muscle for
> success. Heed the Warning. I myself do not care for limi cattle for some of the several reasons you have stated, but we have had very good luck with the brahmousin breed. They are 3/8 brahman and 5/8 limi. They make good mothers and milk well and tolerate heat and cold quite well. We also raise black cattle and the brahmousin do not wade in the pond or hide in the shade in the 100 degree heat. We have bought several brahman cows and are breeding them to limis for halfblood females. I bought brahman cows because I can deal with a brahman cow before I will ever deal with a limi. And there are bad cattle in every breed.

I've never had any problems with my limo Bulls. There calves are usually some money makin dudes.

I have made more money with Limousin cattle then any other breed! I have Brahman cross cows bred to limousin bulls and 1/2 limousin cows bred back to limousin bulls for 3/4 limi calves. Top the market every year. Wean off 600-700 lbs calves. Never had any problems with Limousin! Wouldn't use any other bull on crossbred cows!

[email protected]

> I have made more money with
> Limousin cattle then any other
> breed! I have Brahman cross cows
> bred to limousin bulls and 1/2
> limousin cows bred back to
> limousin bulls for 3/4 limi
> calves. Top the market every year.
> Wean off 600-700 lbs calves. Never
> had any problems with Limousin!
> Wouldn't use any other bull on
> crossbred cows! are you cattle registered. You can register them with the brahmousin association. Check out their web site at brahmousin.org

All these problems you listed have never happened to me. I have used full blooded limousin bulls and bulls crossed with brahman. My cows all have a bit of brahman crossed into them for heat toleration. I am yet to lose a calf or heifer from calfing, and have only had to keep pasture in decent shape, no feed. I have sold to the market and brought top dollar, and have sold seed stock. The best feeling of it all is the kids who have bought from me for show stock. They also suit me well at the table. I wouldn't raise anything else.

> " Get more muscle for
> success. Heed the Warning.

Not to sound rude, but maybe if you paid a bit more attention to the quality of cattle you were breeding, you wouldn't have those problems. Just a thought, that's really the only logical explanation. Others wouldn't have had such success with their cattle if your "examples" were the case world wide.

[email protected]

I have to totally disagree with you. We have registered Limousin, grade Limousin as well as some Limousin cross & Charolais. Our Limousin cattle are very docile, well balanced and very fast growing. Last years yearling heifers are the same size as our Charolais heifers. (Our Charolais come from my father-in-law who has 1900 lb. cows) At our county fair we have over 100 steers competing and the Grand Champion was a Limousin cross. My son won carcass champion with his purebred Limousin steer. What more can you want? Our AI guy even said that our cattle were very mellow & he's been in the business for 27 years. No matter what kind of cattle you have, you should be breeding for low birth weight, high docility, high milking & a high weaning weight. Our Limousin provide us with all of the above!

[email protected]

> I have to totally disagree with
> you. We have registered Limousin,
> grade Limousin as well as some
> Limousin cross & Charolais.
> Our Limousin cattle are very
> docile, well balanced and very
> fast growing. Last years yearling
> heifers are the same size as our
> Charolais heifers. (Our Charolais
> come from my father-in-law who has
> 1900 lb. cows) At our county fair
> we have over 100 steers competing
> and the Grand Champion was a
> Limousin cross. My son won carcass
> champion with his purebred
> Limousin steer. What more can you
> want? Our AI guy even said that
> our cattle were very mellow &
> he's been in the business for 27
> years. No matter what kind of
> cattle you have, you should be
> breeding for low birth weight,
> high docility, high milking &
> a high weaning weight. Our
> Limousin provide us with all of
> the above! And I have to agree with you. We live in CA where the summers are over 100 and the winters below 30. We have a herd of crossbred cows; Hereford, Charolais, Angus, Brahman and Holstein. We breed to a Reg. black Limousin and top the sales every year. And Shasta Livestock Sales is one of the largest sales.

[email protected]

we have had some limos for the past 13 years and have never had any problems to speak of i dont know what kind of cattle you had but that dont sound like limos to me

We've got a lot full of boughten limi cross calves that must have come out of cows that could jump over the moon, nothing will hold them. I had to treat one and kept it and a buddy in the trailer to feed, water, and keep an eye on. Everyday when I push the front gate shut to close off a "safe" area I almost have my arm broken my the little POS taking me and jumping in the air at my arm. I wanna sell the whole works or buy a tranqualizer gun.

it was a limo that won Grand Champion at the Houston Livestock Show a couple months ago, so they cant be too bad. in the past my FFA chapter has had several limo steers and there have never been any problems with behavior.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2j8195vh said:
it was a limo that won Grand Champion at the Houston Livestock Show a couple months ago, so they cant be too bad. in the past my FFA chapter has had several limo steers and there have never been any problems with behavior.

I have a Young Nephew that Thought HE Knew Everything Also.
He sort of learnt Different.

My experience with cross bred limos, is yes they can jump the moon...but on the other hand they make a plate full of tbone...thats cross bred.. i would never hold a few bad ones against a whole breed...just a thought...donna

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
See the laughing faces? I'm laughing at you.
I recently had a show steer who was purebred black limo by the GREAT Australian sire Vegemite Kid. It was the first limo steer I've had in 24 years but he went ended up being 592 kg at 15 months old. He won champion steer at two royal shows and sold for a price of $3.95 per kilo. I broke him in at approximately 10 months. This took one and a half days, compared with two weeks for my shortie and angus steers.
Just goes to show that he was well structured, fast growing, easy doing and had the best temperament I've ever seen.
I've now got a 6 month black limo steer who is currently growing at a rate of 30 kg per week. Perhaps you should seriously look at your beasts, cos they dont sound like any type of decent cattle to me, and certainly not limos. [/quote]

Never a more true statement of fact, D.R. Unfortunately, the steer jocks have a vested interest in arguing with you. The truth is that the Lim people have made some progress with their past disposition problems. But there is still some of the old blood around. The only way to correct it is to knock 'em in the head and hang 'em upside down.

Younggun, watch that blood pressure! Seems like you spent too much time around those Limos of your's and that disposition rubbed off. On the other hand... The one's we have are great dispositioned and good milkers as well. Just like any other breed, some folks like 'em and some don't. If there weren't just as many people that liked 'em, market fundamentals would eventually make them FREE.

Latest posts