Limousine

Help Support CattleToday:

BoJones

Reaction score
I was woundering if the limousine breed would be a good cow to start with for a biginner. I was woundering because i have a farmer down the road that i could get them from and they seem like they are ok because he only uses 1 strand of electric barb wire and they don't get loose.

Thanks

My experience with them is that any time you get in the pen with them all you see is tails and a$$holes as they are running away from you. Hard to pen and absolutely nuts if you do get them in the chute. That's just my experience, though, maybe there are some that aren't like that. The ones i've seen I wouldn't recommend for beginners.

Cattle Rack Rancher":17uq4cx2 said:
My experience with them is that any time you get in the pen with them all you see is tails and a$$holes as they are running away from you. Hard to pen and absolutely nuts if you do get them in the chute. That's just my experience, though, maybe there are some that aren't like that. The ones i've seen I wouldn't recommend for beginners.

Totally agree my neighbor runs a crossbred operation he is 76. He was running Limo bull's which had a few loose screws. Every one of the yearlings were nuts in the pen. I told him a couple years ago to change out the Limos or I wasn't going to help any more. Went to a Hereford, Angus and Brangus bulls. there are still a few nuts not 99%.

I would recommend most British breeds for a beginner. Herefords are usually quiet. Galloways are good or if you're looking for something a little more exotic get yourself some Scottish Highland cattle. Nice temperament and excellent beef.

Bo, my experiences with them has been different than the other posters here. Some of the best dispositioned females we have are Lims. But I have seen some like these guys are talking about.

Already a lot of information on this subject in the five page "Limousins suck" thread a little ways down this board.

What a Load of Horse Shi""

I hav ebeen raising Limousin since 1985, and I have only had trouble with a few, And I sort them off and put them into the food chain where they belong

If there are people who have had trouble with them it is because they use poor managment techniques, or have continued to propagate goofy cattle and ALL Breeds have them.

Load of Crap that an entire breed is bad, if you deal with reputable people and have done your homework finding cattle that are good and buying them you never have a problem

I just had a customer from Luisianna call me wanting to know if a cow he baught was halter broke, I hurried to call him back so he would not try and halter her, as she is just friendly NOT halter broke, can you immagine what could happen if you got a halter on a 1400# cow that was not halter broke and then tried to hold on to her

Well in my opinion LIMOUSIN is a great breed to start with and stick with, and I would say if you are going to buy cattle from anyone, go to the ranch walk through the herd, all of it, look at the calves, look at the cows in production, look for disposition problems, there is a big difference between a rank cow and a cow having maternal instinct with a young calf to protect

Not all people want or need to come to the ranch, I just sold a man in Dolores CO three bred heifers, he picked them out from photos I sent him via e-mail, he told me what he wanted and I photographed heifers I thought would fit his needs, and I met him in Amarillo with the heifers, that is 1/2 the way for both of us, and that is what good customer service is all about

Colorado has some of the top breeders of Limousin in the country, but after visiting the web site and reading up on the ranch, he chose to deal with my ranch, I was pleased to hear this, he was looking for a breeder who was thinking outside the box, and we do

Latest posts