limousin x angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":38ofcvun said:
That is all probably true; BUT there is a whole generation of us who have bad experiences with Limousins in the stockyard pens, working cattle on the farm, LOADING THEM ON TRUCKS, and even just walking through the pastures. I got the worst end of it; because I have never owned any; but have extensive experience working the breed for other people. I know that modern Lims are smaller, are a different color, look more like Anguses, and supposedly have a different attitude; but it is really hard for someone like me to put aside dozens of bad experiences (most of them 15 or more years ago) and throw down real money for anything bearing the Limousin name.

Again it is amazing that we can make a general statement about a breed without saying anything to the program or the ability of the handlers.

We have extensive experience dating to the late 70's and just haven't had the problems.

Come up and see me. Your only 2 hours away.

dun":6hs7y1fi said:
charolais and limos are 2 breeds that if I added any of their influence to our herd I'ld be looking for another place to raise cows. But in our case, the bad experiences were as recent as 4-5 years ago with both breeds.

dun

We just don't see it. Been doing it over half my my life with them.

Must be our program.... or something.

Brandonm2":3rj464ki said:
I know that modern Lims are smaller, are a different color, look more like Anguses, and supposedly have a different attitude;

This is a small group but I don't see any angus lookin cows.
cows7x5.jpg

Kinda looks like their posing.

Hmm....

edit added 1 more.
breeeding8x6.jpg

What color did they use to be?

Wewild":1od1keto said:
Brandonm2":1od1keto said:
That is all probably true; BUT there is a whole generation of us who have bad experiences with Limousins in the stockyard pens, working cattle on the farm, LOADING THEM ON TRUCKS, and even just walking through the pastures. I got the worst end of it; because I have never owned any; but have extensive experience working the breed for other people. I know that modern Lims are smaller, are a different color, look more like Anguses, and supposedly have a different attitude; but it is really hard for someone like me to put aside dozens of bad experiences (most of them 15 or more years ago) and throw down real money for anything bearing the Limousin name.

Again it is amazing that we can make a general statement about a breed without saying anything to the program or the ability of the handlers.

We have extensive experience dating to the late 70's and just haven't had the problems.

Come up and see me. Your only 2 hours away.

It could just be the few bloodlines that were promulgated here in Alabama that were nutcases. Maybe a few breeders did not castrate enough bulls.....I don't know. All I can say is that in my personal experience (and none of that is recent), the Lims were harder to handle and more dangerous than anything else I have personally come across (and that includes Gerts and F1 Tigers). I had one neighbor who crossed Lims and Gerts for about ten years and those calves and their MAMAS really were SPOOKY!! I did not get on the board and say that Limos were NUTS; just that all my experiences with the breed (crossed to Angus, crossed to Hereford, crossed to Charolais, crossed to Beefmaster, crossed to Gerts, or straight) was NOT GOOD. My original point being that Lims have burnt a lot of fences with a lot of cattle people in the past. Some older guy who remembers a lot of Hereford and ANgus dwarves probably ALSO has a poor impression of those breeds as well.

Reguarding the color, I looked it up and at ABS 9 are Black and 4 are red. At Bovine elite, 29 are Black and 27 bulls are Red so the Blacks have not taken over the breed as completely as I had thought. I apologize for the inaccuracy; though even you must admit that angus looking Lims ARE becoming much more the norm in many places.

We have raised Lims for many years and we have culled the spooks out. Now there is a difference between a spook and a cow that is protective of her calf. I have seen spooks in every breed. Another reason that ours are gentle is that I see them everyday,they are my therapy for my crazy world. Wewild, I like your pictures,and I do like the reds better.

ranching hands":1iq05st3 said:
has anyone had any success with limousin bulls on angus cows
They are really nice cattle. They will be GENERALLY a little more flighty than straight angus. Fertility is the main problem when compared to straight angus-- you will have a higher percentage of heifers that won't breed in this particular cross if you should choose to retain heifers. Just my exprience over the last 20 yrs.

Brandonm2":1cvlkhfm said:
though even you must admit that angus looking Lims ARE becoming much more the norm in many places.

Maybe a wee bit north of this pasture..... maybe... naw our's still look like black lim's to me.

I'll post some pictures of the blacks when I take some. Never have cared for them much.

We got some of our first reds from Tinsley Farms in AL. Down around Lafayette.

Come see me.

Went today and looked at some 3in1,s the fellow who owns them let me walk through his herd and look at the calf,s they had turned out. He has some really nice cow,s and calf,s they all had great disposition,s you could walk right up to them. he has both red,s and black,s.He also has a few limflex cow,s they are some of the best ive seen inperson in a wile.

rattler

Doc:

did you really write all that just to recap what everyone had said?

One of the people who rents pasture from the mentor has a red limo bull on angus cows. Those are some really nice calves, good growing and stocky built.

I've seen more black angus cows with docility problems than limos. I had a limo bull last year and he was docile. The only epd that was listed on his papers was a milk epd of 20 and I've talked to a fella that has some heifer calves out of him and hope I can get a few of them at weaning.

Dun, I don't have that with my charolais either, but then I hand pick my cows and docility is a factor for me.

C HOLLAND":3o80nfrf said:
What about the other way, Angus bull on Lim cows.

is that a good choice for replacements
In my opinion ,the results will be the same. You will have some really nice looking progeny but their will be a higher percentage of females that won't breed. I have never retained any bulls from this cross (they're now being called Limi Flex) but I SUSPECT you would find the same, GENERALLY SPEAKING-lower fertility. Having said that, the ones you keep that do breed will produce some nice calves, especially if you go to a 3-way cross using another breed. And yes, you can retain heifers out of this 3-way cross, just go back to one of the lower percentage parents to breed the retained heifers back to so you don't wind up with a mongrelized herd. This would need to be a terminal cross with all progeny being sold for slaughter. I have done this in the past. One thing I might add, the cows from these crosses will have great longevity as a rule. I still have some that are probably pushing 20 yrs old. still producing. Again just my opinion and experience.

Latest posts