limousin x angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

If success were defined as adding meat, muscle and weaning weights to the Angus cows, my neighbour would say yes.

If success were defined as being chased over the fence when helping the neighbour, kicked over the fence when helping the neighbour, or rebuilding the fence at the neighbours, then they fail miserably.

If you want to just produce calves for a feedlot type of market, I think they work. I like to think of myself as a food producer, and I think there's better ways to do it than using Limo's. Just my opinion.

purecountry":3k97025p said:
If success were defined as being chased over the fence when helping the neighbour, kicked over the fence when helping the neighbour, or rebuilding the fence at the neighbours, then they fail miserably.

Really. How do straight lim's do?

They are great,
Limi x with Angus = Limflex, an can be registered with the NALF.

They are a great cross. We a black limo on some angus and black baldies and we are extremely impressed andI like them 10:1 over the pure angus. Much bigger calves, much more muscled. I have no disposition problems. Our bull eats out of my hand.

Limousin will add more to a straight bred angus calf than you will even believe. the vigor and heterosis is compounded greatly. almost like they were meant to be crossed.the straight angus defintly needs a shot of muscle and for the commercial producer the increased rate of gain and increased weaning weight will pay big dividends at the scale. As far as docility , I really get tired of all the crap about the limis being so wild . It is 2006 not 1975 when certian lines of limis were hard to handle and were aggressive , but the modern breeding are as docile as any other breed . Did you watch the Limousin special on RFD TV last night . Did you see any crazy limis. I didnt . One thing they mentioned was the docility improvements on the limi breed over the last several years. You will be very satisfied with the Limi X Angus cow and run a Limi Bull back to produce terminal calves.

It is a good cross if you want more muscle on the calves.
We raise purebred and fullblood Limousin and don't have a problem with their disposition. It's one of the traits breeders should cull for, along with fertility, conformation, feet, etc.
People that have crazy cattle need to learn how to buy better cattle and not blame a whole breed for their own ignorance. Crazy cattle of any breed need to hit the plate, not the pasture.

Straight bred Angus calves sell well but they are no the best money makers for the buyer. The continential crosses cost less, gain better, and have more muscle. The BLACK Angus beef thing is for city folk that don't know better.

There are still some crazy limis in the country but you can avoid that by a private treaty. A black limi bull should be great for a terminal cross.

There are a few crazy animals in almost every breed. If you want some of the best calves you have ever raised use the Limi bull on the Angus females. You will have great selling steers and replacement/feeder heifers. I think its the ultimate cross. I wish I had a thousand of them.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Stocker Steve":2wbnnkfs said:
Straight bred Angus calves sell well but they are no the best money makers for the buyer. The continential crosses cost less, gain better, and have more muscle. The BLACK Angus beef thing is for city folk that don't know better.

Sure are a lot of them city folks buying Angus bulls because there's a lot of them being sold. :p

Frankie":1cku9cuq said:
Stocker Steve":1cku9cuq said:

Sure are a lot of them city folks buying Angus bulls because there's a lot of them being sold. :p

City folk don't have a clue that Yield Grades and Quality Grades are going to pot either, Steve.

Frankie, it would probably scare us all how many real true city folks have gotten into the cattle business just for the tax benefits.

You will have great selling steers and replacement/feeder heifers. I think its the ultimate cross. I wish I had a thousand of them.

Let me rephrase my last post. I wish I had the MONEY that a thousand would bring and somebody else had the calves ! That sounds a little better to me. lol

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

What a preposterous cross, who would ever think of such a thing??

Pure craziness I tell you!!

:lol: :lol:

IMHO Limo or Simm are the best terminals for Angus cows.
50% Brit/ 50 Cont - All known for carcass quality.
The crazy Limo stuff has been worn out in my books, if you can't look past the rumours etc.. and take the time to find a well bred Limo bull, from someone you can trust, then you don't deserve the imo advantage!! ( Forgive the sales pitch, but keep in mind I don't sell any PB Limo genetics ).

I can't seem to get many animals off my farm yet because of herdbuilding/drought/freezer sales and other excuses, but whenever any of mine have gone to the ring I get the top going rate. No worries about that.

Where are you sending them? Check with feedlots, I can almost guarantee your gonna get a thumbs up on the cross.

I agree with AngusLimox the crazy limo thing has been beaten to death the breed ha,s came along way sence the 70' and 80'.Their are crazy,s in every breed just have to weed them out.

rattler

I have read with great interest the posts today concerning 'Limousin" cattle and the lack of docility and aggressiveness that certain breeders have experienced. It reminds me of an Uncle I worked with when I was a young man. He was the man who really got my interest in Beef Cattle stimulated, and the Angus breed in particular. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it in retrospect, he was instrumental in creating a thirst and a drive in my psyche which still exists today for breeding top Beef Cattle and learning everything that I can about improving the technics of raising and breeding them. It isn't just another way of making a living. It isn't just another way to pass the time. It is an entirely different lifestyle, and in order to be successful at the BU$INE$$ the need and drive for perfection should BURN in the Breeder's blood!

Several years ago when the trend toward changing the beef production business from somewhat of a hobby game to one of downright serious and concentrated considerations for the purpose of making Beef Production a PROFITABLE enterprise, I did a personal investigation and preview of most of the known so-called "Beef Breeds" of that time. I had been involved extensively in breeding and raising Chinchillas, and even wrote, from total scratch, the Registration Program for the Industry. It was a very daunting challenge, and took me months of agonizing work to avoid excluding imperative factors for a Purebred species and to refrain from making stupid mistakes - which for me was very difficult!

I mentioned the above information to stress the importance of being ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and ACCURATE in expressing opinions and reiterating evidence based on hearsay, biased thinking, irrelevant data, doubtful credulity, or, as is the case in many conversations, people making statements to attract attention and about which they have NO legitimate knowledge of the facts.

Which discussion brings us to the current post regarding the Limousin Breed and the docility, or lack therof, of current seedstock. From the posts of those who have chosen to answer this thread, I am of the opinion that modern-day Limousin seedstock, if chosen with care from credible breeder's, can be a profitable choice for either a Purebred operation or a Terminal breeding establishment. As I used to tell my students, "Don't be BARN BLIND and don't practice "Condemnation Before Investigation!".

As ALWAYS is the case, it is important to have the OPTIMAL GENETICS on BOTH sides of the pedigree before making a definitive statement or a conclusive decision regarding profitable crossbreeding. The Limousin Association and numerous breeders attest to the fact that the docility characteristic has been strongly stressed and much attention has been given to the calmness of the current representatives of the breed.. Crossing Limousin with Angus results in a program called Lim-Flex and investigation into the success of that cross can open some eyes in regard to profitability and ease of handling the cattle of today.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2c2y4a4k said:
I have read with great interest the posts today concerning 'Limousin" cattle and the lack of docility and aggressiveness that certain breeders have experienced......

The Limousin Association and numerous breeders attest to the fact that the docility characteristic has been strongly stressed and much attention has been given to the calmness of the current representatives of the breed.. Crossing Limousin with Angus results in a program called Lim-Flex and investigation into the success of that cross can open some eyes in regard to profitability and ease of handling the cattle of today.

DOC HARRIS

That is all probably true; BUT there is a whole generation of us who have bad experiences with Limousins in the stockyard pens, working cattle on the farm, LOADING THEM ON TRUCKS, and even just walking through the pastures. I got the worst end of it; because I have never owned any; but have extensive experience working the breed for other people. I know that modern Lims are smaller, are a different color, look more like Anguses, and supposedly have a different attitude; but it is really hard for someone like me to put aside dozens of bad experiences (most of them 15 or more years ago) and throw down real money for anything bearing the Limousin name.

I was always told if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all. WE have a few limo's few herefords and a few angus cows. Also some crossbred cows. My limos went down the road a couple of weeks ago. That was "NICE".

Brandonm2":1g15jie2 said:
there is a whole generation of us who have bad experiences with Limousins in the stockyard pens, working cattle on the farm, LOADING THEM ON TRUCKS, and even just walking through the pastures. I got the worst end of it; because I have never owned any; but have extensive experience working the breed for other people. I know that modern Lims are smaller, are a different color, look more like Anguses, and supposedly have a different attitude; but it is really hard for someone like me to put aside dozens of bad experiences (most of them 15 or more years ago) and throw down real money for anything bearing the Limousin name.

charolais and limos are 2 breeds that if I added any of their influence to our herd I'ld be looking for another place to raise cows. But in our case, the bad experiences were as recent as 4-5 years ago with both breeds.

dun

If you can make it to NWSS in January, the first-ever Lim-Flex Female Pen Show & Sale will take place in the yards. The Lim-Flex bulls were in this year, but it's really something to see the females out of that cross.

While you are in the area, Colorado State University has established a Lim-Flex herd you could take a look at. Keep in mind they were designed for an extremely dry, low-input environment, ie: low milk production, small mature size, etc. The oldest females should have had their third calves by that time. They will also have some excellent carcass data on the calves.

Latest posts