limousin vs angus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A couple of years ago bought a small ranch with approximately 30 breeding cows. A mixture with very little history. Mostly black and black and white face. We have survived the past couple of years, learning a lot. Recently took a number of steers to market. Prices ranged from 56 to 98 cwt. Some where marked as short. We have figured out that we need to be more consistent. Probably need to eliminate a lot of the "older cows". As new ranchers we are trying not only to have the best quality for our own consuption but to have the most valuable product for the market. We are trying to determine where our replacement heifer dollar should go. These two breeds seem to be the most desirable.

[email protected]

> A couple of years ago bought a
> small ranch with approximately 30
> breeding cows. A mixture with very
> little history. Mostly black and
> black and white face. We have
> survived the past couple of years,
> learning a lot. Recently took a
> number of steers to market. Prices
> ranged from 56 to 98 cwt. Some
> where marked as short. We have
> figured out that we need to be
> more consistent. Probably need to
> eliminate a lot of the "older
> cows". As new ranchers we are
> trying not only to have the best
> quality for our own consuption but
> to have the most valuable product
> for the market. We are trying to
> determine where our replacement
> heifer dollar should go. These two
> breeds seem to be the most
> desirable.

Where is your ranch located?

What is bringing the best price in your area. I personally raise angus by choice and they top the market here in maine. Do you keep records on on your cows, when they calve, calf weight, weaning weight, sex of calf, calving difficulty? CHAPS 2000, from N. Dakota cooperative extension allows you to compare and rank cows, makes culling for performance alot easier. Do you keep any of your heifers for replacements? The Limi's I have work with were high strung. The AI Limi bulls dad crossed bred with, daughters were all lacking in milk and did not stay in the herd.

>I disagree with the other post made about this. We raise purebred Limo's and they are not lacking in milk and are not high strung. As for choosing between the two breeds, look at what does best in your area in the market. What do the buyers want? Then go from there.

Latest posts