Limousin or Brangus bull????

Help Support CattleToday:

watso059

Reaction score
I have around 1/3 of my Brangus cross herd together and will be looking for a good registered bull soon. I like both the brangus and limousin and think that either would be great. I'm just curious to which you guys think would be better or, at least, the differences the two breeds would bring to the table (...literaly lol).

if you stick with brangus, you can save your best heifers and get your other 2/3 and have a uniform herd.

if you go with the limousin you will probably get better growth and muscling.

I raise and sell Limo bulls as well as run them on all my commercial herd. I think you would like the calves from that mating. Heck I might even have a bull you would like. Plus Im not too far from you. You can check a few of my bulls out at http://www.chrlimousin.com ... Feel free to contact me if I can help you. Thanks, Bill

Wow! Nice ranch and bulls. I really like the look of the black limos. It isn't that far from my place either. My cousin has had both black and red registered limos but his black one did not do as well as the reds have done. In fact he has a red one now. I noticed on your site that you have mostly black but a few reds. I figure your blacks are better since that is what you have pictured the most. What is the differences that you notice between your black and red bulls? Which would you recommend?

watso059":jh5eb825 said:
I'm just curious to which you guys think would be better or, at least, the differences the two breeds would bring to the table (...literaly lol).
Brangus would be the only choice. No bout adout it. The Brangus would stand the heat better and be more insect tolerant. They won't be as heavy muscled or double muscled and would be more fertile, what, with the limos having little pea nuts. The Brangus daughters would be better maternally and have less calving difficulties and being better milkers. Breeed them back to Angus bulls and you would have Angus Plus hfrs to sell at a good premium for replacements and the steers would be a hot item for the feedyard order buyers to be after.
Like I say, no bout adout it, Brangus;

like LA says go with a brangus.but get a good thick big butted one with a tight sheath and you will love the replacements you get might even look into a angus plus.

Thank you Watso, I appreciate the kind words on the bulls and ranch. First of all your going to get all sorts of replies in here from all sorts of people. You have seen the Limi sired calves. you no doubt liked what you saw or you wouldnt be considering using a Limi bull now. Limousin and Angus are on the same EPD scale now. Im not sure about the Brangus. I Like the Brangus females but in our area I think you need a bull to take off as much ear as possible on the calves. I think your steers will sell much better at the stockyard. I have bulls here that have milk EPD`s that rate all the way to a 30. I think these bulls would produce really nice replacement females for anyone. I also know for a fact that tha Limi sired calves will weigh out more at weaning time because they have more red meat and not nearly as much fat content. I had a friend here that I leased a bull to and he bred 17 cows . He was using Angus bulls on his herd and when he weaned all the calves he told me that the calves from my Limi bull outweighed his calves by 100 pounds per head. On todays market thats from $100 to $150 per calf over his Angus sired calves. I will be happy to show you my bulls when you get ready to buy. I have a great selection right now. You can reach me from the numbers or email on the website.

As far as the differences in the red or black I dont see that many differences here. I sold 45 bulls off the farm last year and only two were red. I just get more calls for blacks but its because more people want black calves. They come to me because they want more muscle that the Angus or Brangus offer when breeding to their commercial herds. Time after time I have repeat buyers and I sold bulls in 6 other states last year. Theres a strong demand for Limi bulls. Of course everyone has an opinion but I have seen it first hand. Thanks for your interest, Bill

limo's get knocked on awfully hard on the board here. But there is a lot of experience represented here.

I would go with Brangus or angus plus, but I guess I'm biased. At least I'm telling you that.

get a Limi, with a high maternal epd, and also a large scrotal size. You can good replacement heifers, and good steers to sale, you also will be getting a nice hybrid kick. If you get several of these type of replacement heifers come back with a Angus or Hereford on em.......Also if you wanted to consider a different breed other than Angus or Limi with the cows you have now you might want to consider aHereford bull....You would be raising black baldies, and they sell good on any market

A guy has rented pasture next to my cows and runs angus cows on a limi bull and those are really nice calves.

If you are wanting to just sell the calves I would go with limi, if you are wanting to keep replacements I'd go with brangus and then when you get your herd built up go with limi. That hybrid vigor is the name of the game when selling calves.

Latest posts