Limousin/Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan":266wdygv said:
How would the calves be of a Red Limo bull on Herford cows?
Hardley no one in this board wants anything to do with limos.
They kinda crazy.

CopeMan":2psy68j3 said:
How would the calves be of a Red Limo bull on Herford cows?

I usually don't knock any breeds- but the two breeds I dislike the most are saler and limos. Past experience with limos is lack of fertility, lack of milk and maternal traits, disposition--ran into some that were almost as nutty as salers- To me this cross would definitely be a terminal one as you wouldn't want to save the heifers.

Why not breed them to a red angus bull if you want red calves? Heifers would make some great momma cows.

I have to agree with Oldtimer.
Those 1/2 & 1/2 Red Angus X Hereford hfrs would make some great mama cows.
Raise what the market wants if you want to make money.

If really shocked! We use Red Angus bulls on Polled Herefords and Polled Herefords on Red Angus. The only cow that we still have that does a better job is a F1 Red Angus Gelbvieh, but she weighs 1680 lbs a month and a half after calving and her heifer calf weighed 306 pounds, she weighed 76 lbs at birth. The catch here is that the other crosses are almost as heavy but the cows/heifers are whole lot lighter.
There are a bunch of excellent AI bulls available from both breeds, even though you have to look a little harder, there are also some really good natural service bulls available in Herefords.

dun

la4angus":49qh8cgn said:
I have to agree with Oldtimer.
Those 1/2 & 1/2 Red Angus X Hereford hfrs would make some great mama cows.
Raise what the market wants if you want to make money.

How about a Gelbvieh bull on the Herefords? More milk in the replacement heifers and a better disposition in the calves.

Beefy":1ro3lxda said:
Copeman,
WHAT are you thinking?!

lol, Im not thinking of doing that cross, at all, just curious to what would be said about it. I agree with la4angus, Limos are to wild for me. Some are crazy, cant turn your back on them. Actually where I got the idea came from a television show. It was that show called Cribs, it showed the Lead singer of this band you might have heard of Beefy called Alice in Chains. Well it was Jerry Cantrell, and it showed his Oklahoma Ranch and his cattle, and I happened to notice that he ha a Red Limo bull in with there many Horned Hereford cows. Soo, thats where it came from

they would be good calves i have heard that they are high strung. i hear people say the same about brahman cross but i don't have any trouble with them. i have heard people say that about angus. it depends on how you handle them too. i have a simmi x gelb cross when i brought her home i thought i had made a big mistake but when she calmed down she was fine. i go out and walk around them and mess with them, until they are use to me.

I dont know very much about limos but I have a few simmental-hereford cross cows and they seem to do as good as anything else I have, I always try to pick bulls for calving ease especially when breeding heifers

shorty":1le2b6r2 said:
I dont know very much about limos but I have a few simmental-hereford cross cows and they seem to do as good as anything else I have, I always try to pick bulls for calving ease especially when breeding heifers

limos they are alot like any other breed.. good ones and bad ones.. they get knocked alot on this board for being high strung.. but i have several black limos and they are among the most gentlest of all my cows.. not a single one of them is highstrung..

there are highstrung ones in every breed.. even angus.. lol.. definitely not trying to start anything.. its just a fact. i also have some f1 tigerstripes... 1/2 brahma 1/2 hereford.. now some of them could be pictured beside the definition of highstrung in the dictionary.. they wont be with me much longer.. i will cull a cow on her disposition.. i have gotten rid of some of my best producers because of their disposition. they arent worth it..

and i have some crosses between the tigerstripes and limousin... no problems with them either.. i plan on retaining some of them for replacements... they are growing out really well, and are much gentler than the charlois cross calves from these same cows last year.

to each his own though, that is what makes the cattle business so much fun to be in. if we all had the same kind of cows, we wouldnt have as much to talk about..

good luck

jt

Feedlots want nothing to do with limo cross cattle. They take to long to finish and as everyone has said the are nuts. To much of a problem. I have some hereford cows that run with my shorthorn bulls and they have dang good calves. Most people think that i am nuts with the shorthorns but I can walk out in a pasture with a bucket and they will follow me anywhere.

J+

Latest posts