Limousin Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this board. I just joined today. I have a question that I am hoping someone here can help me with. Let me preface by saying that I am new to raising cattle. I grew up raising hogs. I have a 150 to 175 lb. Limousin steer that I bought at the sale barn one week ago. At first he seemed fine but then he started coughing and moving about real slow and would stand with his head down and his eyes half closed for several minutes at a time. He seems lethargic. He also developed a runny nose. He has an appetite, grazes and eats grain etc. but he is very slow in doing so. I done some research on this board and the web and he seems to have all of the symptoms of BRSV with the exception of that he is not drooling at the mouth. I dropped by our local livestock vet and he gave me a 5cc shot of Mycotil (thanks to this board I learned that this stuff is very dangerous to humans and was very carefull administering the shot) and he also gave me a 3cc shot of Ivermectin (for worms) and Vitamin B12. I administered the shots today at about noon. I guess my question is for those with experience in this arena. How long does the drugs take until a difference is seen and is there anything else that I can do to help this little guy take off? Thanks.

Welcome to the boards. It sound as if your on the right track. A lot of the ones you get from the salebarn will get sick. Its best to do as you did. Hit em fast and hard before its to late. As far as the mycotil I can't help you much as I don't use it. I would think you should see results in as little as tomorrow. Others here came be of futher assistance with it. A lot of folks here are firm believers in it.

normally if i buy any at the sale, i give them a shot of antibiotic soon as i get them home. i never worm one when it is sick either. they are prone to get some respiratory disease. i would have given 10-12 cc's of la 200. would have seen improvement next day. don't know about mycotil

i use micatil alot. whenever i buy a calf at a sale, i always give it micatil unless it is a baby and then i give it baytril when i get it home. 1 1/2 cc's per hundred pounds is the micatil dose. in most cases you see marked improvement the next day. i would expect your calf to be much better by tomorrow---good luck and welcome to the boards

Thanks for all of the info and feedback. I have seen some improvement in the calf as of last night. His eyes and nose quit running and his appetite was improving.

HOSS":13rta4wh said:
I dropped by our local livestock vet and he gave me a 5cc shot of Mycotil (thanks to this board I learned that this stuff is very dangerous to humans and was very carefull administering the shot) and he also gave me a 3cc shot of Ivermectin (for worms) and Vitamin B12.

WOW, I'm amazed that the vet just handed the Micotil over to ya. He can lose his liscense for that. :to be administered by vet only:

My vet might be an idiot, but he is smart enough not to hand the stuff over to just anybody. At least not with a hour long lecture on proper BQA and saftey.

Muratic":4mzt0f0c said:
HOSS":4mzt0f0c said:
I dropped by our local livestock vet and he gave me a 5cc shot of Mycotil (thanks to this board I learned that this stuff is very dangerous to humans and was very carefull administering the shot) and he also gave me a 3cc shot of Ivermectin (for worms) and Vitamin B12.

WOW, I'm amazed that the vet just handed the Micotil over to ya. He can lose his liscense for that. :to be administered by vet only:

My vet might be an idiot, but he is smart enough not to hand the stuff over to just anybody. At least not with a hour long lecture on proper BQA and saftey.

Muratic, that is exactly what he did. This crossed my mind also after learning of the hazzards of the drug. He has a good rep in the area as knowing his stuff but I would think that a drug like this should be more controlled.

Just a little advocacy for the devil. In testing, they administered 10 mcg/kg to a monkey without any visible effect. For a 200 lb human that's roughly equivalent to 3 cc of micotil injected IM. I'm not arguing the danger here, but injecting yourself with 3 cc (probably 4-5 cc for me) would take some doing. If I remember correctly, the guy that died in Nebraska? took a full 10 cc in the thigh due to a freak accident. Everybody knows a story or two about some poor schmuck that got stomped by a bull or tossed by a new mama. Stuff happens. We don't carry the stuff in a syringe without a cap on the needle, and we don't administer it without the animal squeezed in the chute. I don't let the kids even draw it up. I wouldn't recommend just anyone go out and sling the stuff around, but I don't feel like I'm taking any unnecessary risks. Then again, maybe the price is so high in order to cover the malpractice insurance for the docs that give it out to everybody and their brother. ;-)

Latest posts