Limousin bull

Help Support CattleToday:

if they are first time heifers, WATCH OUT.........my experience is Limi bulls have HUGE calves. I swithched to an Angus bull.

> I just bought a limousin bull to
> breed to brangus cows. What am i
> in for? Will this make a good
> pair?

[email protected]

With a Brangus cow, you have a cross between a Brahma bull and an Angus cow...or vice versa? Half big, have small (hmmm...) Agreed on the first calf heifer aspect especially because of the Angus factor. However, the truth would be in the EPDs of the bull. I looked at the birth weight of the Limousin bull I used on my first-calf Limousin heifers. He weighed 74 pounds. So far, the calves have been smaller... I have calving problems because of my over-conditioning the heifers. If you ever get hold of a multiple breed catalog (from an AI supplier, etc.) you will find that Angus bulls weigh big time when they are born, too... seems to depend on individual animal. How old is the bull you bought? My dad just sold a five year old bull that started throwing 100 pound calves... but he didn't start out that way, and I don't know what his EPDs were.... I have read that if you want a small calf for the first-calf heifer, Longhorn will do it for you.

[email protected]

> if they are first time heifers,
> WATCH OUT.........my experience is
> Limi bulls have HUGE calves. I
> swithched to an Angus bull.

I don't know how old my cows are but they have a calf know. The bull I bought is a young bull. Around two years old. Weighs 1250 pounds.

[email protected]

If they have a calf by their side, then they are at least two years old, and are not considered first-calf heifers. The calf by their side MAY be their first calf, but it has no bearing on anything now, unless you might want to learn just what their birth experience was. For a two year old bull, he is doing quite well.... can you find out how much he weighed when he was born? That may or may not be an issue, since your cows aren't first calf heifers. I wouldn't think that you would have any problems on a Limo-cross breeding. When my dad started breeding with Limousin bulls, he was impressed with the small, vigourous calf that IMMEDIATELY starting growing when it hit the ground, or so it seemed. Calving ease was a big factor for going toward Limousins. I am not sure how much the birth weight of your bull bears on anything.... to find that out, I would ask dunmovin'.... although, he seems to be an Angus man... don't hold it against him....lol

[email protected]

I no longer discuss limousin because all of my experience with them has been negative. When we decided to start using x-bred continental and british cows we went through a period of studying a number of breeds and herds. We finally settled on Gelbvieh and or Simmenthal. Disposition, fertility and milk along with moderate size, early puberty and able to do the job on grass. But generally, with no breeds being mentioned, a two year old bull that only weighs 1200 pounds isn't a herd bull prospect. The bulls birth weight can be an indicator of expected BW but too much depends on the management of the cow for it to really be reliable. EPDs are the best tool we have today for predicting BW, YW, WW, etc. Remember too, the bull is only less then half of the BW. Crossbreeding will add a little, herd managment, and the cows on BW EPD all enter in to it. We have a skinny little old cow that always drops a pretty large calf and a 1400 cow that has little 65 pound calves even when both a bred to the same bull. We only keep the big cow around because she routinely weans the heaviest calf and she is also fat as a pig even on poor pasture, and fertile as can be. Also she is a great guard cow. The term "first calf heifer" is redundant, she is either a heifer or if she's calved she's a cow. Now that I've adequatly irritated everyone.....................

dunmovin farms

> If they have a calf by their side,
> then they are at least two years
> old, and are not considered
> first-calf heifers. The calf by
> their side MAY be their first
> calf, but it has no bearing on
> anything now, unless you might
> want to learn just what their
> birth experience was. For a two
> year old bull, he is doing quite
> well.... can you find out how much
> he weighed when he was born? That
> may or may not be an issue, since
> your cows aren't first calf
> heifers. I wouldn't think that you
> would have any problems on a
> Limo-cross breeding. When my dad
> started breeding with Limousin
> bulls, he was impressed with the
> small, vigourous calf that
> IMMEDIATELY starting growing when
> it hit the ground, or so it
> seemed. Calving ease was a big
> factor for going toward Limousins.
> I am not sure how much the birth
> weight of your bull bears on
> anything.... to find that out, I
> would ask dunmovin'.... although,
> he seems to be an Angus man...
> don't hold it against him....lol

you haven't irritated me... I would rather have someone tell me what they honestly thought to the best of their experience than to pussy foot around and never be understood. I can't disagree with anything you have said... I did the Limousin bull thing as a joke, sort of. We have gotten on well with Limousin as a rule, but there are those exceptions. I don't suppose anyone wants to know what a rotten day I have had today...and why I am SERIOUSLY considering butchering almost everything on the place, do they???? LOL

[email protected]

> The best days work that I ever done was to go out and buy a lmousin bull, we had calving problems with several breeds of bulls, I still have the same cows pretty much and bought a high dollar limi bull and have not pulled but 2 or 3 calves in the last 3 yrs. And one of those was an AI mating, the other 2 the calf was born dead. I weigh alot of my calves at birth and consistently get 70-75 lb heifers and 80-85 lb bull calves. If you dont tag them in 2 hrs. you cant even run them down they are so thrifty. I was tired of calves weighing 95 lbs and lying around for 3 days trying to get over being born. .My 2 cents worth

I just bought a limousin bull to
> breed to brangus cows. What am i
> in for? Will this make a good
> pair?