Limo, Simmi or Gelbvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter":2b1ozno1 said:
Why would you keep a bull out of cattle that you thought had a temperament problem? I personally would rather have a 1300 lb cow blowin snot at me versus a 2200 bull! One can hurt ya, the other can kill ya.
Once again, I feel like I am restating what I have already said.
He was kept because:
1. We wanted him to put calves on the ground that would be finished for freezer beef, not to give rides at the petting zoo. He sired gorgeous calves.
2. When I said the calves were "terminal" I meant that none of them, including the heifers, were retained for use in the herd. They ALL got ate before calving, this eliminated any risk of the behaviors perpetuating.
3. He never displayed even the slightest temperament issue. He did not have an issue with anyone in the pasture at any time the entire time he was on the farm.

I'm not sure what to do with "One can hurt ya, the other can kill ya". Maybe you are saying the cow could have hurt me but not kill me? Thats not only untrue, but it is a dangerous statement to make in case someone were to find it credible and let their guard down. How many of you have worked with a new momma that might have killed you if she had had the chance? A cow can be as dangerous as a bull if not more so. I don't have the patience to dodge bullets in my own pasture. I spend time with the cattle because it soothes my soul, not to court death.

SSGenetics":jsj8pizn said:
One of the more meaningless posts I've read on here.
:roll: This is the big boy version of "I know you are, but what am I?". The OP came on here asking "Limo, Simmi or Gelbveigh?" and I answered the question based on personal experience. If you have a question or want to challenge something I have said, then feel free. If you only want to throw rocks maybe you should consider a longer nap time.

angie":l6x3hboo said:
SSGenetics":l6x3hboo said:
:roll: This is the big boy version of "I know you are, but what am I?". The OP came on here asking "Limo, Simmi or Gelbveigh?" and I answered the question based on personal experience. If you have a question or want to challenge something I have said, then feel free. If you only want to throw rocks maybe you should consider a longer nap time.
Now thats funny..

I guess some would reply with "big bag..... big feed bill or big maintenance or big no breed back"

I had a jersey cow raise up a Herf cross naturally and when he was weaned, the milk fat just melted off and he looked very much like his contemporaries. Guess what, she was drawn down a lot more than the other cows and took a lot more to get her back. She failed to breed back the next year.[/quote]
Dont know what big bag has to do with failing to breed back.. :???:

Limomike":1kwnii8x said:
angie":1kwnii8x said:
SSGenetics":1kwnii8x said:
Now thats funny..[/quot

Funny you should mention nap time, cause this story sounds like a fairy tale that goes something like this......

Not gonna keep any heifers cause they are wild and won't let me walk in the pasture with them. Will keep their brother cause we know the bull offspring of the same wild cows is calm and will let us walk among him, even when breeding....

Mean ol breeder who raised these Limi Krackens offered to replace them at no charge. Guess I could get the new ones ,an take em straight to the sale barn, and get a large portion of our money back, but we all know the 3 year old Limi cows are fine eating.........yawn..... All this bs is making me sleepy....think I'll take a nap!

Out of the three the only one that i have had any experience with is the Limmis and Limflex,always have had good luck with growth,like RBB said being in Minnesota Wulf is a good place to look for a bull and they do have a calf buy back program. My first calf on the ground this year is out of a Limmi bull and Herf cow,and he is growing well also, he wont qualify as a black Herf though :cry2: Good luck with whatever you choose, Nice looking bull 3-way.

angie":1prpsb1m said:
SSGenetics":1prpsb1m said:

If my post was offensive, then I apologise. My comment was likely as meaningless as yours. :x

I once slipped on a sidewalk... Should I never walk on a sidewalk again?

SSGenetics":1fzf9916 said:
angie":1fzf9916 said:
SSGenetics":1fzf9916 said:

If my post was offensive, then I apologise. My comment was likely as meaningless as yours. :x

I once slipped on a sidewalk... Should I never walk on a sidewalk again?[/quote] Only if you didnt learn how to walk on it from that experiance... majority on here have had their learning experiances and made bad choices,... i still do.. never owned a limm. so i dont comment on something i know nothing about

3waycross":5xqfz8ey said:
Him and you will love the baldies.

JE_ELI.jpg

3way what is that bulls name? Is he registered?

Cross breeder #1":20zzbfo6 said:
3waycross":20zzbfo6 said:
Him and you will love the baldies.

JE_ELI.jpg

3way what is that bulls name? Is he registered?

I am sure he is registered. I don't know his name. I will see my cousin next friday at the Pot O Gold Sale I will gett all the info on him for ya'll at that time!

Got the Wulf newsletter yesterday. One article compared feeding out these 3 breeds. Simi was the biggest and Limi had the best feed conversion.

So are some Limi lines an easy keeping maternal breed now?

Stocker Steve":1r9vop75 said:
Got the Wulf newsletter yesterday. One article compared feeding out these 3 breeds. Simi was the biggest and Limi had the best feed conversion.

So are some Limi lines an easy keeping maternal breed now?
They've been knocking the ball out of the park at a few bull tests out here on residual feed intake.

Latest posts