Limo Bull. RUNL Stetson 850S thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

pk1

Reaction score
RUNL Stetson 850S, Has anyone used this bull? If so how would you rate him? No limo bashing please..

Not a big fan of Lodestar bulls, too framey for my tastes. 850's scrotal is not what I would want in a bull. Personally I think they are better Limi bulls out there to be used in a AI setting.

If your gonna go with a larger framed bull use Baxter or Rulon...I have used Rulon before and you get good offspring everytime. The Baxter bull was going to be the next bull that I was looking at. Rulon semen is getting harder to come by, but the Baxter bull is still pumping it out. Maybe the fella that owns the bull will chime in......YOU OUT THERE BILL....

JCL Baxter looks good, but I am looking for a bit more muscle, my cows have enough milk, from my research Baxter has no copies of the F94L gene, The video of Stetson on Limousinlive looks good, moderate heavy muscle and good mobility. and homo black homo polled, I would use Rulon but I do not have access to his semen.

Thank you for your advice!, JCL Baxter looks good, but I am looking for a bit more muscle. My cows have plenty of milk. From my research Baxter has no copies of the F49L gene, the video of Stetson on Limousinlive looks good, moderate frame heavy muscled with good mobility, I would use Rulon but I do not have access to him.

Yes Houston I am lurking in the shadows out here. I am not as familiar with the Stetson bull as I should be. I noticed that he has sired over 700 calves so they had to use him heavily both AI and naturally being a 2006 model. I also noticed that Wulfs now owns him. He has to be doing something right for Wulfs to have enough interest to purchase him. Depending on your goals in your herd I would have to say he would be worthy of using on some cows. His calves also reflect his EPD`s in thir performance as most of them reflect heavy growth on paper. I have not viewed any of his calves in person but they have most all been born at Running Creek and Spring Creeks. Good luck.

Circle H Ranch

pk1 said:
JCL Baxter looks good, but I am looking for a bit more muscle, my cows have enough milk, from my research Baxter has no copies of the F94L gene, The video of Stetson on Limousinlive looks good, moderate heavy muscle and good mobility. and homo black homo polled, I would use Rulon but I do not have access to his semen.[/quote

You might want to check on that homo black, Limigene has him listed as homo polled, but just black. If your cows are homo black put a fullblood in there, that would kick the RE up a notch,or Romn Justice. I really like what I have seen of this bulls offspring. A moderate framed meatwagon thats polled.

Oddly enough according to NALF this bull has not been DNA tested for Homo Black. However, he has 706 calves in the herdbook and one calf is registered as red. The guidelines they give us on homo black bull is a 99.9% chance to get all black calves out of red or black non diluted females. The red could be a typo or accidently from another bull. I cannot figure out why they wont spend $35 get it on his papers but I guess it is not important to them. It would however be very important when selling semen IMO. If I was using a bull that heavily I would have it done quickly.

I received an email today about a bull that is a trait leader in 9 catagories

Calving Ease Direct
Birth Weight
Weaning Weight
Yearling weight
Calving Ease Maternal
Scrotal Circumference
Docility
Marbling
$MTI

Master BRUN Anapolis 612R is the bull . His REA is light on his EPD and he is not HB and HP but he has a lot of performance in his pedigree. Just another option.

Circle H Ranch

Hello fellow Limo breeders,

Obviously our industry is different in Australia due to a lot of Limousin X progeny being finished on pastures and not in a feedlot, however much like you guys we are after cattle with early growth, moderate frame and a ton of thickness and depth of body. Our market still demands traditional shape in our cattle (butt shape) so it is still important to have copies of the F94L gene.
With all that been said we had the priviledge to visit Running Creek on a recent trip to the U.S. in May of this year in the search for new genetics. We saw many 1st calving heifers, new born calves and sale bulls by Stetson all which displayed the criteria we are after. We was very impressed with the consistence and thickness of the Stetson progeny and we then decided to flush some U.S. cows to him as well as using him in our 2011 AI program.
He is yet to drop progeny here in Australia but i think the calves will have a lot going for them and i have high hopes for their introduction to our herd.

Latest posts