limit feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

PrimeValley

Reaction score
So we are looking to be more efficient with our hay usage with our cow/calf operation. Now weaning time is coming soon. We have been researching limit feeding of the cows and gomer. Our question is how much bunk space is required? We have read research that says if you go with true limit feeding where the cows only get say 5 lbs of hay per day that you need about 30-inches of bunk space so that each can eat simultaneously and cows do not have to "compete" for the hay.

We are considering just limiting access to the hay for 12-hours per day. So cows would have "free access" to hay for 12 consecutive hours each day. In a scenario like that, does there need to be 30-inch of bunk per cow or can 20 cows for example use the same hay feeder?

Thanks!

what your wanting todo may not work if you have timid or older cows.because the younger stronger cows will push them away from the hay bunk.

PrimeValley":2w82k2p0 said:
So we are looking to be more efficient with our hay usage with our cow/calf operation. Now weaning time is coming soon. We have been researching limit feeding of the cows and gomer. Our question is how much bunk space is required? We have read research that says if you go with true limit feeding where the cows only get say 5 lbs of hay per day that you need about 30-inches of bunk space so that each can eat simultaneously and cows do not have to "compete" for the hay.

We are considering just limiting access to the hay for 12-hours per day. So cows would have "free access" to hay for 12 consecutive hours each day. In a scenario like that, does there need to be 30-inch of bunk per cow or can 20 cows for example use the same hay feeder?

Thanks!
Don't see where you're really accomplishing anything. Cattle seldom spend 12 hours a day grazing or eating hay anyway. Numerous small meals is always better than slug feeding once or twice a day with a time limit on it.

PrimeValley":2vdf2zt5 said:
In a scenario like that, does there need to be 30-inch of bunk per cow or can 20 cows for example use the same hay feeder? Thanks!

Depends on the feeder design and shape.
I would have at least 150 % of slots with a circular feeder.

if you're limiting your hay, why not just give them a set amount and feed it on the ground..

Do the cows have any grass to eat at all or are they just going to be on hay alone? Are your cows in very good condition? I don't know where you live, but if you have a hard winter and they don't have any fat, you're just going to have to feed them much more then.

I feed my 20 cows about 7x80 lb bales of hay through the winter, temps are usually around 0F, and I keep my younger animals separate and feed them about the same amount per head, but they don't need to compete. Every situation is different.

You had better have decent fences if you are going to limit feed. Cows will be unhappy, unhappy cows look for weak spots.

We figure a little over 2 to 2 1/2 feet per cow depending on size. Set out a certain amount of feed for that time period if you would limit feed in 12 hour cycles they would over eat when you turn them in. You will need good fences either guardrail or electric over barb wire works for us we also set salt blocks which seems to help keep them content.

How much you limit feed will be based on your cows weight and the rule of thumb is 2% of that we usually feed under that based on the feed sources and energy levels. If possible you need a seperate gain weight yard for the old, young and under conditioned and need to sort cattle in and out as needed.

I'm surprised lucky hasn't commented yet. I believe he does some limit feeding. I'm pretty sure how we fed hay when I was a kid was limit feeding. We put out a fourth of a square bale per cow in the morning, and a fourth of a square bale per evening. We fed less, and they wasted less. The cows all looked pretty good when spring came. I sometimes think about quiting rolls, and going back to the old ways.

hey, BF.
I don't check in at the Feedyard often .
We've been limit-feeding hay & distiller's grains since 2007. Started out of necessity, due to scarce hay supplies - that first year, we were shooting for 10lbs of hay/cow/day & 10-12 lb modified distillers/hd/day. Cows came through the winter fine - actually in better shape than years when we'd just fed free-choice locally-purchased hay of questionable quality. Breed-back was better than in most prior years as well.
We've continued it, even though most years, hay has been more available and affordable. There are several ration-balancer programs out there, like the OSU Cow-Culator and UofMN beef cow ration balancer, that can help determine how much hay and how much of whatever feed supplement you need to meet cows' nutritional requirements - depending on breed, size, stage of pregnancy/lactation, BCS going in and what level of BCS loss you're willing to accept. Additionally, as price/ton can be assigned for each feed ingredient (hay, concentrate), one can determine whether it's more economical to feed more hay or more grain/concentrate.

Farm manager (my wife) calculates approximate consumption rates and we adjust hay access times - generally 1.5-2 hrs/day... longer, if needed, to meet requirements, and the cows come out of the hay to consume their grain ration,then stand around in sacrifice paddocks for 20+ hours awaiting the next feeding.

Bit the bullet and poured a hay-feeding pad this year; anticipate that we'll have less hay loss/wastage, as they won't continually be mashing what they pull out and drop into the mud. Even with liberal application of crushed rock, the hay feeding area was still a quagmire in places before spring. Anticipate the feeding pad paying for itself in rock costs and reduced hay wastage in less than 10 years.

Bit the bullet and poured a hay-feeding pad this year;

Some type of hard surface to feed on is definetley a good thing to have in a dry lot situation.

Also I do like the U of MN calculator for what lucky said and since you can test your feeds and modify them in it. Also cow weight, trimester and for those of us up north air temperature can be adjusted. For us it seemed like the calculator overfed for the most part so we fed under the recommended levels and the cows stayed in a 5 to 6 BCS. Just keep and eye on your cows and adjust as you go because a lot of it can change based on the type of cows you have but it is a good starting point.

Lucky_P":1yxgh6b3 said:
Additionally, as price/ton can be assigned for each feed ingredient (hay, concentrate), one can determine whether it's more economical to feed more hay or more grain/concentrate. Farm manager (my wife) calculates approximate consumption rates and we adjust hay access times - generally 1.5-2 hrs/day... longer, if needed, to meet requirements, and the cows come out of the hay to consume their grain ration,then stand around in sacrifice paddocks for 20+ hours awaiting the next feeding.

Feed prices are dropping here. Rained on upland hay with 85 to 95 RFV is now $75 to $90 per ton. DDG is $90 FOB. I realize the $ savings for limit feeding are going to depend a lot on local pricing.

From a pounds per day perspective - - what is a reasonable feed reduction estimate for limit feeding a mix vs. free choice hay ?

We have limit fed a ration of a around 20 pounds (1250- 1350 lbs cow) dry mater using hay/cornstalks, corn silage, ryelage and a couple pounds gluten or corn. If you would make it more energy dense such as luckys ration you might be able to reduce DM pounds a little more. Not sure on the full free choice of hay but would estimate it would be in the low 30s dm.

bmoore87":cgzpa3yc said:
We have limit fed a ration of a around 20 pounds (1250- 1350 lbs cow) dry mater using hay/cornstalks, corn silage, ryelage and a couple pounds gluten or corn. If you would make it more energy dense such as luckys ration you might be able to reduce DM pounds a little more. Not sure on the full free choice of hay but would estimate it would be in the low 30s dm.

So if you are feeding 2/3 of the DM# they want - - how fast do they lose condition?

Be aware that there are some glitches in the UofM ration calculator, and I don't know that anyone is working on it to fix them. I can't really detail what they are - the farm manager(wife) is the 'techy' here, and has done all the playing around with it, but if you work with it a bit, you'll probably spot them.
She's used both the UofM and OSU Cow-culator programs, and both have good features and some shortcomings.

For the most part you shouldn't you are feeding the average cow in your herd to hold her weight. I do have older cows, heifers and harder keeper in a desperate pen with a better ration and will sort in and out of it 1-2 times a month depending on if somebody is gaining weight or loosing it.

The best way I had it explained to me is like a person who only needs to eat 2000 calories to be healthy but will eat a lot more than that if you let them. Your just stopping them from there natural habit of eating till there stomach is full.

The year I fed 20 lbs DM was the year of our drought and hay was scarce so the ration was in large part made up of higher ernergy feed like corn silage, gluten and distillers. This past year we fed around 23 to 24but was mostly made up of hay and less of the higher energy stuff since we had more hay.

Latest posts