Limit Feeding Corn Products ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Periodically there are articles pointing out the corn based TDN cost is similar to hay TDN cost with the current commodity surpluses. A few here feed off a corn silage pile in the fall. I think low test wt. corn or screenings could work well for me during the early winter. Do you see any cow wintering advantages with higher density corn based feeds other than increased flexibility? Have you run numbers on effectiveness before vs. after weaning?

IMO, it all boils down to price. I think you can mix a ration using all sorts of things and have a good feed and this can give you a great advantage. The key is when you find something that works good and is dirt cheap don't go advertising it because the demand will run your price up and you'll need to find another source. We've used screenings that others never dreamed of.

Stocker Steve":2qto2xbb said:
Periodically there are articles pointing out the corn based TDN cost is similar to hay TDN cost with the current commodity surpluses. A few here feed off a corn silage pile in the fall. I think low test wt. corn or screenings could work well for me during the early winter. Do you see any cow wintering advantages with higher density corn based feeds other than increased flexibility? Have you run numbers on effectiveness before vs. after weaning?
No and there are no real disadvantages to utilizing the lower test weight corn according to researchers. If you can buy it cheaper by all means take advantage of it.

Latest posts