Limi vs. Angus beef ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I sold 3 Limi steers last year as freezer beef and the customers were very happy with the leaness of the meat and the taste. I have a much better connection with a family friend who raises registered Black Angus and has for 30 years. He wants me to take care of the freezer beef sales for him and also bring in my customer base. We will obviously be using some of his pure Angus for freezer beef. I'm worried my customers might not like it as much or it won't be near as lean. We have a 1300 lb. Angus bull I was going to take to the processer in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if he might be fairly lean because he is still a bull and more heavily muscled than a steer. I just got off the phone with one of my customers who bought from last year and loved the Limi beef. I honestly told her I was probably going with Angus now and she expressed concern it wouldn't be as good. I don't want to lose my customer base. Decisions, decisions!!

I sell beef and a lot of other things for a living for going on 25 years now, and the one thing I have found out for sure is you can give your customers too much information.

3waycross":3d1q8o7l said:
I sell beef and a lot of other things for a living for going on 25 years now, and the one thing I have found out for sure is you can give your customers too much information.

She specifically asked me if I was going to use Limi steers again and I didn't think it was right to lie to her. If my customers ask me something I tell them the truth, if I were a customer I would want the truth.

Euro breeds tend to be leaner than Brit breeds so if your customers are going to you because of the lean meat then I think it would be a good idea to stay with the Euro breeds.

tncattle,

there is nothing wrong with raising both and giving your customers a choice. Look at the customers that you may not gain that want angus with more marbeling vs. the limi that is more lean. This way you can satisfy just about any current customer or any potential customer. The limi x angus option is there also for those who want leaner beef but with additional marbeling. I have raised limi steers for meat and have really liked the taste but liked the limi x angus beef better.

Maybe give the customer options. You may even be able to charge a premium for the Angus, or in your case the Limi. Consumers love choices and this would be one way to have a clear conscience (telling the customer about the type of beef), and giving the customer what they want.

tncattle":1lb45f23 said:
3waycross":1lb45f23 said:

She specifically asked me if I was going to use Limi steers again and I didn't think it was right to lie to her. If my customers ask me something I tell them the truth, if I were a customer I would want the truth.

I wasn't recomending that you lie. Absolutely not. I would just caution that in the future the more info you volunteer the more info you will have to be accoutable for. Always be truthful. I would never advise you to be anything else.

#1 thing you need to give your customers is consistent quality.

I think the fact that you are looking to sell them a 1300 lb BULL may be more significant than the Limi-Angus issue. The Limi they liked was a steer.

Jim

SRBeef":1qzym8lu said:
#1 thing you need to give your customers is consistent quality.

I think the fact that you are looking to sell them a 1300 lb BULL may be more significant than the Limi-Angus issue. The Limi they liked was a steer.

Jim

I thought this same thought, I haven't processed a bull yet. It seems if I ask 10 different people, 5 say he'll be great and 5 say he won't. I thought the beef from him might be leaner because of his muscling.

If I had the option to choose between limousin and angus beef I know which I would choose...

You've asked the same exact question before and the last time you asked it you said you sold 5 steers, now your saying its only 3, so which is it. Your question was answered last time you asked it, if your customers like why change?

Limi vs. Angus beef
by tncattle on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I fed out 5 Limousin steers this past summer and sold to friends and co-workers. The beef turned out better than I expected and very lean. Don't know if this is a fair question but how would very good quality Angus compare to these Limis? The reason I ask is one of my best friends raises registered Angus and so I can probably get some steers from him cheaper than I can get the Limis, plus the Angus are so much closer. I will try and post some pics of the Limi beef.tncattle
Rancher

Private message

LimiMan":13ib7jpm said:
You've asked the same exact question before and the last time you asked it you said you sold 5 steers, now your saying its only 3, so which is it. Your question was answered last time you asked it, if your customers like why change?

Limi vs. Angus beef
by tncattle on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I fed out 5 Limousin steers this past summer and sold to friends and co-workers. The beef turned out better than I expected and very lean. Don't know if this is a fair question but how would very good quality Angus compare to these Limis? The reason I ask is one of my best friends raises registered Angus and so I can probably get some steers from him cheaper than I can get the Limis, plus the Angus are so much closer. I will try and post some pics of the Limi beef.tncattle
Rancher

Private message

I actually kept about 1 1/2 of them for myself and gave some away to family so I actually sold a little more than 3 total but I was just rounding down. Why consider the change? Because If I go with the Angus I don't have to buy the calves as we already have them. I must disagree with you about it being the same exact question, just read it and tell me if it's "exactly" the same. I can't believe you took the time to find the other post but good work--I guess. Sorry the post bothered you so much, in the grand scheme I don't think it's that big a deal. ;-)

I think you should use both. Keep your happy customers on Limi's, and try to expand with some angus buyers. You might even try a cross later. In most European countries, each beef breed is sold as a breed. here we either sell angus beef, or we just sell beef. The ability to market both breeds could really expand your business.

We sell angus and angusX - customers also love how lean it is. What you're offering them will still be much better than anything they can buy from the grocery, and that's probably what's important to them. Last I heard, research still says there's more differences within breeds than among them, so if your management practices stay the same and the general quality of cattle is the same, the beef will not likely be very different. That being said, some customers (and breeders for that matter) wouldn't believe it. Maybe offer an angus steak or two to that customer and ask his/her opinion?

We've been buying and eating Limi beef for a couple of years now and yes it is more lean than the angus beef...also seems to have more flavor. More lean beef needs to be cooked quickly and not overcooked or it gets tough and spongy. Serveit up medium rare for best tastes.....to me all that marbling just creates grease which creates smoke and adds that flavor to the meat. Guess I prefer the limi over angus as well.

TexasBred":2l48pu1a said:
We've been buying and eating Limi beef for a couple of years now and yes it is more lean than the angus beef...also seems to have more flavor. More lean beef needs to be cooked quickly and not overcooked or it gets tough and spongy. Serveit up medium rare for best tastes.....to me all that marbling just creates grease which creates smoke and adds that flavor to the meat. Guess I prefer the limi over angus as well.
this from a brangus breeder
:cowboy:

At least up here you would rarely come across someone that would turn up their noses at angus beef. If selling Angus beef would hurt your business don't do it stick to the Limi. As far as the 1300 pound bull? I wouldn't push him off as anything else then a bull. He may be very good but, there are LOTS of opinions on bull meat.

I have a couple customers that ask for Charolais. It's very good, and fed the same as the Angus is very close to the same marbling.

Limousin beef has much finer fibers than other beef breeds. Also your customers will likely get more pounds of meat from the Limi because of less waste.

Latest posts