Limi vs. Angus beef ?

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":2sw7uhyy said:
TexasBred":2sw7uhyy said:
We've been buying and eating Limi beef for a couple of years now and yes it is more lean than the angus beef...also seems to have more flavor. More lean beef needs to be cooked quickly and not overcooked or it gets tough and spongy. Serveit up medium rare for best tastes.....to me all that marbling just creates grease which creates smoke and adds that flavor to the meat. Guess I prefer the limi over angus as well.
this from a brangus breeder
:cowboy:

Bammy..them brangus is too valuable to be a eatin'. :cowboy: But I do like that Limi meat.

I don't like either breed.

Dang angus for their growth and feed conversion and limi's with that carcass quality. A disgrace I say!

:lol2:

Feed

Feed

Feed

Given good cattle, the f word predominantly determines what you produce.
Use the marketing already done for you by the Angus folks and exploit the benefits of limi breeding.And feed to get what you want to sell.

I have never tried Limi beef but I may come this November. I have however had to kill a 27 mth old bull last December. I pulled him from the cows in September and grain finished him for three months. He was the only bull out of twelve head ,of which four were heifers and the rest steers, that I finished and sold last year. There ages ranged from 12 mths-16mths with the exception of him. We keep a quarter of each crop and we slaughtered four times last year. We purposely kept a quarter of the bull to taste the difference. We still had beef from a steer that was a 12 mth old so we defrosted and did a taste comparison. The older bull had a little more fat and massive cuts of meat especially the steaks. The tenderness was just the same and the flavor ....NO difference. Maybe it is in the WAY we finish them out and the fact we slaughter under 30 mths old but you would not have know who was who except for the size of the steaks and cuts in general. They were both Angus as well. I am finishing out a Shorthorn bull right now to sell in September. I will keep a quarter of him as well but I expect the beef to be every bit as good. I agree on the marketing of different breeds to offer more selection. I would come up with a Limi to offer her. She will wait on it if she likes it that well. She will be impressed that you cared enough to make sure she has what she really wanted. That creates a client instead of a customer....loyalty.