Limi vs. Angus beef

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I fed out 5 Limousin steers this past summer and sold to friends and co-workers. The beef turned out better than I expected and very lean. Don't know if this is a fair question but how would very good quality Angus compare to these Limis? The reason I ask is one of my best friends raises registered Angus and so I can probably get some steers from him cheaper than I can get the Limis, plus the Angus are so much closer. I will try and post some pics of the Limi beef.

im gonna go out on a limb here.but personally i dont think it matters what breed or cross you get for steers.i think its the way they are handled fed an butchered an aged.an that tells you how tender the meat will be.as well as how much marbling it has.

I would expect that you'd get more marbling in the Angus steers, but better yield in the Limis. Red meat yield is probably one of the strongest traits of the Limousin breed. Based on watching a lot of bull tests, the Angus would probably be cheaper to feed.

I would expect that you'd get more marbling in the Angus steers, but better yield in the Limis. Red meat yield is probably one of the strongest traits of the Limousin breed. Based on watching a lot of bull tests, the Angus would probably be cheaper to feed.

To me the ideal feeder animal is british/exotic cross. Breed the higher yielding bull to the lower maintenance maternal animal with more marbling ability (usually) and you have a a pretty good steer. Actually the limo's will be cheaper to feed per pound of gain or per pound of meat produced. They convert more of their energy to lean meat which is more efficient than converting to fat, bone, etc. The limo steers would definitely produce more meat in their carcass so you would have more weight to sell; the limos will probably yield 65-70% the Angus maybe 59-62%???. A lot of that depends on the gentics in the Angus as well.

Having said all that, I agree with the other fellow that the quality of the meat is really determined by a lot of other factors. What the original animal was has very little to do with the quality of the beef reaching the consumers plate.

Well i had something to say but Willow Springs covered it pretty well. The Limi beef should also be very tender without a lot of fat very healthy and a much finer grain to the meat.

Red Bull Breeder":3q4kcmfw said:
Well i had something to say but Willow Springs covered it pretty well. The Limi beef should also be very tender without a lot of fat very healthy and a much finer grain to the meat.

This is the reason I'm hesitant about going with Angus instead of Limousin. My customers have all been happy with the Limi beef. Decisions, Decisions

tncattle":33i5f8y8 said:
This is the reason I'm hesitant about going with Angus instead of Limousin. My customers have all been happy with the Limi beef. Decisions, Decisions

If your customers are happy with the leaner Lim beef, give the customer what he wants or is use too. If you want to branch out. Go a head with the caution that is need with any enterprise.

tncattle":2710yf7q said:
Red Bull Breeder":2710yf7q said:

Personally I would go with the Angus. ( and I can't say that I knowingly ever ate Limi) But I am not your customer. They obviously like what you are selling. Sell them something else they may resent it. At very most let them them sample it before you stick them with a change, or they may change where they buy.

Always better to give the customerswhat they want when ever you can. You can be sure the Limi is going to put more red meat in the packages.

Novatech if you have never ate Limi beef maybe you should try it before recemending something else.

I'd recommend the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

However, if you do decide to go with Angus would you mind giving me the names of your customers so I can be their new Limi supplier? :D :D :D

Did you ever see the Jack In The Box commercial where they left the "g" out of Angus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":vgrrasym said:
I would say your customers will never notice the difference

I would say you just said it all. Even if it ain't exactly right. It really comes down to aging.

Limi ---- QG> Select to Low Choice YG 1 Shear force 10
Angus --- QG> High Choice to Low Prime YG 3 Shear force 1

Angus will taste Better be more palatable
Limi <<<< hope your knife sharpener is close by the dinner table and I hope you like knife sharpening oil with your Baked potato
T

From my experience (and I've buthered a few in my life)...

Limousin has the better FCR, it has been proven over and over here, however typically angus matures earlier so you probably don't have to feed the angus as long to reach the desired finish.

Limousin will have the better yield and a much better meat to bone ratio. Limousin will have less waste in the form of fat and will have leaner meat for the health conscious housewife.

When it comes to eating experience the angus wins hands down everytime for the taste of the vast majority of the world's population. It really hurts a hereford breeder to say it and regardless of what you think of CAB, angus beef is just about tops in quality, the breed has been selected for stall fed quality beef in the country of its origin in its formative years and it still shows today.

KNERSIE":38ibo0iw said:
From my experience (and I've buthered a few in my life)...

Limousin has the better FCR, it has been proven over and over here, however typically angus matures earlier so you probably don't have to feed the angus as long to reach the desired finish.

Limousin will have the better yield and a much better meat to bone ratio. Limousin will have less waste in the form of fat and will have leaner meat for the health conscious housewife.

When it comes to eating experience the angus wins hands down everytime for the taste of the vast majority of the world's population. It really hurts a hereford breeder to say it and regardless of what you think of CAB, angus beef is just about tops in quality, the breed has been selected for stall fed quality beef in the country of its origin in its formative years and it still shows today.

Now Knersie, I would rarely disagree with you, but this is one of those times. In this country, CHB has beaten CAB in more than one blind taste test. CAB has also won its share of awards. Personally, I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in flavor and tenderness. I'll concede that on a national level Angus have us beaten on marbling, but there are some herf genetics out there that will compete with the best. For instance, the Day genetics bypass the years of fad chasing that nearly ruined our breed, and make a fine beef eating experience. Whatever you think of Jim Lents, the ability of his cattle to consistently grade Choice in a Yield Grade 1 package is astounding. Another breeder unmarred by show fad chasing. He has documentation to show that his straightbred herfs consistently hang right at 67%, while grading Choice.

As for the original question at hand, my personal preference would be Angus, and I have eaten both. However, I have come to respect what some limi influence can do for a commercial herd.

Now Knersie, I would rarely disagree with you, but this is one of those times. In this country, CHB has beaten CAB in more than one blind taste test. CAB has also won its share of awards. Personally, I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in flavor and tenderness. I'll concede that on a national level Angus have us beaten on marbling, but there are some herf genetics out there that will compete with the best.

Where is the disagreement?

I'll go further and say on a global level angus beef still has a slight edge over hereford. Personally I don't think there is much difference in quality between any of the British breeds, but if you go and compare a large enough sample not only in grade but also in taste tests you'll find that angus would probably come up as winners with hereford not far behind.

Even in the years before CAB, angus was considered the best breed for quality beef, yes they are outmarketing hereford and yes the difference is probably far less than the promotors of CAB would like to admit, it still remains a very good and sought after product world wide. We as hereford breeders must focus on and promote on the good qualities of our breed and correct the not so good traits rather than to waste energy trying to fight the angus breed and CAB.

There is a place under the sun for both breeds, the hereford breeders in general must just wise up to what the commercial guy needs and focus on what we can give them rather than to try and simulate what other breeds can do at the cost of losing our own unique strengths.

Wewild":1wze39k2 said:
tncattle":1wze39k2 said:

If your customers are happy with the leaner Lim beef, give the customer what he wants or is use too. If you want to branch out. Go a head with the caution that is need with any enterprise.

I think you're right. If he's had success with the Limi steers, why make the change? Unless the Limmis are going to cost too much. If that's the case, can you raise the price you get for the beef?

This is one of those questions that will make people takes sides based off of breed preference. I will give my opinion based off past experience.

We buy a steer at the county fair from, each year it is a kid from our 4H club. I know what they feed and how the calf had been cared for. We have bought Angus, Main-Angus, Chi-Angus, Main-Shorthorn, Simi-Angus, Char-Angus, Limi- Angus and a Main- Hereford.

The pure Angus had less yield but probably the tenderest, the crossbreds had better yield, they all had great taste, every calf graded choice or prime. It comes down to getting good calves with plenty of capacity and feeding them right.

If the people you are selling beef to are used to buying meat in the store, then you can't go wrong with either breed, the meat will still be far better than they ever got at the market. Feed them right and you will still have happy customers in the end.