Limi vs. Angus beef

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":e3b1gtbc said:
Where is the disagreement?

I'll go further and say on a global level angus beef still has a slight edge over hereford. Personally I don't think there is much difference in quality between any of the British breeds, but if you go and compare a large enough sample not only in grade but also in taste tests you'll find that angus would probably come up as winners with hereford not far behind.

Even in the years before CAB, angus was considered the best breed for quality beef, yes they are outmarketing hereford and yes the difference is probably far less than the promotors of CAB would like to admit, it still remains a very good and sought after product world wide. We as hereford breeders must focus on and promote on the good qualities of our breed and correct the not so good traits rather than to waste energy trying to fight the angus breed and CAB.

There is a place under the sun for both breeds, the hereford breeders in general must just wise up to what the commercial guy needs and focus on what we can give them rather than to try and simulate what other breeds can do at the cost of losing our own unique strengths.

Our disagreement comes at this point: Just because Angus have an edge in marbling as a breed does not mean that they have better flavor, tenderness, or juiciness, and I especially emphasize flavor and tenderness. Not only do I believe this from personal experience, but I can cite studies that would back up that statement. Not the least of these are the CSU studies from the early 90's, now backed up by DNA testing showing that the Hereford breed has a higher occurrence of the allelles favorable for tenderness than any other breed, while having the lowest count of the least favorable ones. Even in the Select grade, Hereford beef has been proven to beat USDA upper 2/3 Choice in flavor, tenderness, and juiciness. CHB now has not just the "Classic" choice/select blend, but now the CHB Choice option that is choice and above only, BTW.

Furthermore, when Herefords were king of cattle country, beef was king of meats. Therefore, I do not concede that Angus were considered to be the better beef throughout U.S. history. I have personally eaten both CAB and CHB, and they were both good. I can't honestly say that one was better than the other. I have also raised a number of butcher calves, some of them along with a partner who had some other breeds for comparison. Mine have all been straight herfs or herf crosses. I have a satisfied base of repeat beef customers. The best steaks I've ever had, including at Outback, Avalon, Applebee's, Saltgrass etc, have been from my own home-raised herfs, cooked on my own grill.

Our strengths traditionaly are fitting into an optimal package, not an extreme one. I'd sum it up like this: Beef that is second to none in a package that has acceptable to quite aggressive growth with efficiency and rustling ability that is among the best.

I agree that we should not waste time fighting. The Hereford breed is complimentary to most any other breed in a crossbreeding program, not the least of which is Angus. The black baldie is legendary for good reason; they do most things well.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I agree with Frankie that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If your customers like limi beef, give them limi beef.

Limi is good beef, but why would you have to pay more for Limos the Angus. Never heard of such a thing. Apparently you a paying to much for the Limos. I've seen a lot of cattle sell and Limos do not sell for more then Angus. No, I don't promote any breed, just never seen Limousine out sell Angus.

Latest posts