Limi/LimFlex Weaned Bull Calves [Pics]

Help Support CattleToday:

limftw

Reaction score
Finally done gathering and weaning... overall we were pretty happy with the performance considering the lack of water/feed on the permit. We have had these calves on silage/hay for a few weeks. A lot of them look a little awkward to me at the moment but I figure this is as bad as they will look. Comments/Criticism are welcome. I should also note that the red calves were born late april.
DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0110.jpg

DSCN0127.jpg

DSCN0133.jpg

DSCN0132.jpg

DSCN0131.jpg

Saw one of my favorite cows today and was left with no other option but to take a picture of her as well...
IMG_0252.jpg

Good looking calves.
Mandate was a flop for me as well. I sold the last of his calves on wednesday and the keepers are still here. :( I'll never sell that bull to a customer. I'm kind of sorry I wasted my cows' time on him. They grew well enough but that's about all they did for me.

Calves look good. So are they mainly Feb & March calves? Is this the time of year you normally wean? Where are you located (would be nice if you filled it in - in the Control Panel)?
If I stacked dry round bales like that, the bottom ones would be totally ruined. We have too much moisture. Actually, they all would probably be ruined. We cannot have the round sides touch, or the moisture is forced inside the bales.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":4acjwsx3 said:
Calves look good. So are they mainly Feb & March calves? Is this the time of year you normally wean? Where are you located (would be nice if you filled it in - in the Control Panel)?
If I stacked dry round bales like that, the bottom ones would be totally ruined. We have too much moisture. Actually, they all would probably be ruined. We cannot have the round sides touch, or the moisture is forced inside the bales.

what's moisture?

Red Bull Breeder":2thw7boy said:
Hope you get a good deep snow 3way. Matter of fact wouldn't mind one myself.

they're sayin a "vigorous" storm for Sun and Mon.........we could use some prayers right about now!

@ Jeanne they are stacked on a slight grade with gaps in between the rows. We also use net wrap and it seems to help protect the bales a bit more. We don't get too much snow where i'm at in southwest Colorado.

@ Cow Pollinator what have you heard on Conneally Consensus calves?

I'm really really sorry to "flaunt" the "r" word. We got about 1" of "r" on Sunday and another little shower last night. I shouldn't complain, but sure wish it would freeze - MUD is getting nasty.
For NY, we had a severe drought this summer. Had over 90 for more than 2 weeks. We're still over 5" below norm. I fed hay full feed for 2 weeks this summer (July) - I've NEVER fed hay in summer.

The net wrap does a tremendous job keeping the bales good. When I saw your stack, I figured you had to be in Mont or Colorado. If you left a bale flat on ground like that, it wouldn't last for a month. Well, it'd still be there, just wouldn't be worth eating :shock: If I line them up in a row - stuffed tight against each other, there is less than 1/4" of "junk" on the surface, and maybe 2-3" on the bottom (none in-between on flat edge) after all year - cows still eat it, just no real food value. If I used twine, there would be lots more waste.
Here's our supply of hay in winter:
SV_snow_haleage.jpg

This was 2 yrs ago - last winter we "might" have gotten a foot all year. Our "normal" snowfall is 120". Got 180" two years ago when pic was taken. Couldn't even SEE the rows - had to guess where they were.

limftw":1z9iu1co said:
@ Cow Pollinator what have you heard on Conneally Consensus calves?
Only good stuff... But that's also what I heard about Mandate. I don't know anyone who's used him so I haven't seen any calves. I do think that the conneally stuff has to be pretty good to make it into a catalog whereas the sydgen stuff just has to exist to get into a catalog but that's just personal observation and not the opinions of the sire aquisition teams of any AI studs. :D

Latest posts