Limflex

Help Support CattleToday:

UG":26b0iixm said:
Frankie and Beef11

here is a resource regarding variability in composites. Note at the bottom of the article are references to the research.

http://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/papers/composites.html

Happy Thanksgiving to both of you!

Thank you for the link. But your claim was:

I disagree with your comment questioning the reliability of "crossbred" bull EPDs. Research has proven that the EPDs for hybrid bulls (i.e. LimFlex, etc.) is very reliable....

I don't see any information in your link that tells us hybrid bulls' EPDs are reliable. In fact, your article lists "Database to generate EPDs" as a potential challenge in using hybrid or composite bulls. I'll stand by my claim until you can provide research showing I'm wrong.

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, too.

Frankie":5vqmozzy said:
UG":5vqmozzy said:
Frankie and Beef11

here is a resource regarding variability in composites. Note at the bottom of the article are references to the research.

http://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/papers/composites.html

Happy Thanksgiving to both of you!

Thank you for the link. But your claim was:

I disagree with your comment questioning the reliability of "crossbred" bull EPDs. Research has proven that the EPDs for hybrid bulls (i.e. LimFlex, etc.) is very reliable....

I don't see any information in your link that tells us hybrid bulls' EPDs are reliable. In fact, your article lists "Database to generate EPDs" as a potential challenge in using hybrid or composite bulls. I'll stand by my claim until you can provide research showing I'm wrong.

I hope you had a good Thanksgiving, too.

UG be careful this gal is way out of your league, better sharpen your pencil and pay attention to your schoolin before tangling with ole Frankie.

Happy Thankgiving.

Frankie, I'm conceding this time. I've done a couple web searches using Cornell and Un. of GA as part of the search criteria. I came up with very little info other than that Cornell feels that the SimAngus EPDs aren't as accurate as the Simmental numbers.

I must admit that I based my conclusions on information I had received from breed associations. I can't say that any of the breeds had every stated that the composites numbers were as accurate, but based on what I heard & read I assumed as much. Shame on me for making such a bold statement without doing my homework first. Thanks for correcting me.

Caustic Burno, I don't know if I agree with you comment that Frankie is "way out" of my league. I've been playing the cattle game for a lot of years and been around the block a few times. I also can't say that there is anyone on this forum that I have noticed is right all the time...including Frankie.

not wanting to throw fuel on the fire, I recently purhased some black limo heifers. breeding with black angus bull, but most of my small herd is mixed. bull and heifers are registered, but is there a market for lim-flex bulls, or has anyone had success marketing them.

rjr

Pronouncing Limflex is pretty easy but what is the correct way to say Limousin. I've heard then called Limousine like the high dollar taxi and I've heard it said like it is spelled in this language.
Another something to wonder about, plan on going to a breeders sale in March and don't want to sound like the
anti-christ, especially if I stick my hand in the air and end up taking some home. Thanks...Dave Mc

thanks, limiman, have to make up my mind on whether to raise lim-flex to use as my herd cows, or to keep purebloods and sell lim-flex as replacement heifers. been impressed with calves from commercial limo's crossed with black angus bull, so i guess that has sparked some thinking.
rjr

Susie David":2slm8dcp said:
Pronouncing Limflex is pretty easy but what is the correct way to say Limousin. I've heard then called Limousine like the high dollar taxi and I've heard it said like it is spelled in this language.
Another something to wonder about, plan on going to a breeders sale in March and don't want to sound like the
anti-christ, especially if I stick my hand in the air and end up taking some home. Thanks...Dave Mc

Never could figure out that high dollar talk myself - so I always called them Limo's.

8)

Bez!

Heres a couple of pics, hopefully I can get them posted.

12-03-2005075917AM.jpg

From looking at the previously listed links, I believe I read that to get the best calves from the limflex, they should be bred to a bull of another breed. If this is correct, what could be recommended? Raising cattle is my "other" job, and since I can't always be around, calving difficulty is a concern, along with the fact I want black calves with good gains and temperment. Also with heifers, would going back to a lbw angus for calving be recommended for the first calf?
Appreciate any comments,
Thanks,
rjk

Latest posts