lime

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Recently there was a thread for liquid lime. This made me start to wonder what others are paying for lime in their areas. also how often do you have to lime in your region. In South Central Texas i have to lime every five years.

I pay around $20 per ton for lime testing at 660enm delivered and spread they are hauling it around 60 miles
I can get lime locally (less than 12 miles )that tests at 400enm and it cost around $12.50pr ton delivered and spread

I am in south central Mo

I got all my pasture and hayfields up to 6.0ph or better a few yrs ago and haven't had to lime since but alot of that is due to using turkey litter for fert
you usually have to lime every 3 yrs around here

you are fortunate to be able to buy turkey fertilizer. Around here there are quite a few chicken farms but they contract their cleaning and I have not been able to find a source for the litter. We put between three and four tons per acre of lime on our fields, at about the same cost as you stated.

For us the interval varies. We use very liuttle chemical fertilizer so that helps keep the ph where it should be. We test every other year, the ph will slowly increase for a couple of years then stabilize. Usually the next year it's started down a bit and we lime again. Our pastures and hay fields run 6.0 - 6.6, most in the 6.2-6.3 range

Stocker Steve, I am liming to bring up my ph. I am in deep sand and thr nutrients do not last very long in our hay fields.

Latest posts