lime

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
when applying lime to soil where alfalfa will be planted end of May. How long should the lime be applied before planting the alfalfa?

As in most things, it depends. If the soil is sandy or if it's heavy clay it might alter things a bit if you're just planting it for the first time. If you're going to incorporate it into the soil 3 months would probably be the minimum If you're just going to spread it, probably more like 6 months. The clay vs sandy would dictate how much you put on at any one time. In sandy soild it's going to percolate through the sand faster to a depth that young alfalfa plants can;t redily use. As the root grows deeper, the longest I ever saw was around 7 feet long, the plant can use the deeper lime. That's why I would apply smaller amounts several times rather then a large amount all at once.

dun

The soil is a black loam. Soil samples was sent away for analysis, but still awaiting the results. Would disking the lime in be sufficient to incorporate it with the soil?

KNERSIE":2ovie2hy said:
The soil is a black loam. Soil samples was sent away for analysis, but still awaiting the results. Would disking the lime in be sufficient to incorporate it with the soil?

Very light disking will incorporate it.

dun

KNERSIE":3ijlip3z said:
We have been told it usually will take about 6 months to start breaking down for a fine grind lime, but most people usually are only incorporating it when they are planting, the seedlings should be ok unless you are real low in Ph. Lime does not leach through the soil profile very fast, so I would not worry about incorporating too deep.

Latest posts