lime talk

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
got alot of ground that needs limeing, a lot of it is on some good hills so no spreader truck can not get on it.
and also local coop wants 35 a ton spread.
emailed a local quarray about anything courser than ag lime, something i could spread with an old drop spreader.
replied back with this
Yes I do it has to be fine or I cannot call it lime.
If I knew what you were using it for I could advise better
We have screenings that will help you, spreads better than lime works slower but cheaper than lime.
Manufactured sand spreads best works slower, takes more per acre but is also cheaper

anyone know any thing about this?

It depends on the quality of the lime and distance to haul. I had some spread for 31 aton for everything. The lime around here is really good quality and not far to haul.

10/ton spread. But I live less than ten miles from the source. We put 3/ton per acre this year on hay ground. But the rest of our place could use it also.

A guy down the road was telling me about a machine he rented form the local co-op. Runs off tractor. It discharges the lime only to one side. Would throw a couple hundred feet or so on flat ground, if I recall correctly. He said it made the hillsides effortless. Best of luck…

We have some huge hillsides. Lime trucks just cannot access. We also need to find this spreader and rent one soon.

here it depends how far you are from pit my cost is 16 to 18 peracre 2 ton will help hold thing but unless you put on 3 ton per ac it dont do a lot !

pricefarm":g3dvwbxd said:
RiverHills":g3dvwbxd said:
pricefarm":g3dvwbxd said:
70$a ton wow. 18$ a ton spread here.

How much do you spread per acre?

Usually about 2 tons per acre is a good start. It's best to do soil samples to know for sure how much u need.

We spread 2 ton per acre every 10 years usually does good.

I'm putting the 12 tons on about 10 acres and may do more in a year or two.
I also scheduled chicken litter for September or October at $60 a ton per acre before over seeding fescue and clover.
Old timer told me Friday evening that lime is the best investment by far.
Sure wish I could get lime at $20-30 a ton!

aaroninga":1azuudth said:
I also scheduled chicken litter for September or October at $60 a ton per acre before over seeding fescue and clover.

I'd sure check around for prices, your lime price is way to high for your location. IMO The warehouse that's 30 miles from me was $5.00 a ton cheaper than the one only 7 miles away go figure.

True Grit Farms":2biv0a7p said:
aaroninga":2biv0a7p said:

I'd sure check around for prices, your lime price is way to high for your location. IMO The warehouse that's 30 miles from me was $5.00 a ton cheaper than the one only 7 miles away go figure.

I called another guy this morning and he said $70 is a fair price here.
It cost him $35 a ton.
He could do $50 if I needed 50 tons.
Kinda what I thought, location location location.

scf84":3t7ukbhy said:
got alot of ground that needs limeing, a lot of it is on some good hills so no spreader truck can not get on it.
and also local coop wants 35 a ton spread.
emailed a local quarray about anything courser than ag lime, something i could spread with an old drop spreader.
replied back with this
Yes I do it has to be fine or I cannot call it lime.
If I knew what you were using it for I could advise better
We have screenings that will help you, spreads better than lime works slower but cheaper than lime.
Manufactured sand spreads best works slower, takes more per acre but is also cheaper

anyone know any thing about this?

You might not want to completely write off a truck till you get a good driver to look at your place. Steep is a realitve term. My rule of thumb is if an ATV can drive across the hill sideways without barrel rolling down it then a GOOD truck (power divider and diff lock) with a GOOD driver can get on it if it is dry. I had 40 tons spread yesterday and the old man who brought it went considerably beyond this threshold. He also bought his truck new in 1988 and he has put 907,000 miles on it, so to say that he knows his truck is an understatement. $35 ton spread here.

Latest posts