Lime spreading question

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Can you spread lime with a regular fertilizer spreader?

What if the lime is not perfectly dry?

It will not feed through very good as I have tried, unless you buy pellet lime and it can get expensive in a hurry.

The chain setup in them is not heavy enough for lime. They will work for pellet lime but as jltrent said that gets expensive. I know a few people that tried and ended up shovel a load of lime off the buggy and fixing a broken chain.

yes you can use a fert buggy or truck to put lime out.wet lime will stick to stuff and be a pain to put out.if i was you id wait till the lime is dry.

The drag chain on a lime buggy/truck is a lot wider than a fertilizer buggy, so lime tends to "bridge" more rapidly in the more narrow channel of the fertilizer buggy, which usually leads to shoveling. Also, even if you get it to feed you will have to make a lot more trips across the field, due to the narrow feed chain. I use a combination lime/fertilizer buggy (Chandler) & just move the drive chain from one sprocket to another when switching products. Spreading lime requires a faster feed chain speed to spread the much larger quantities applied.

I know this is not going to answer your original question but if I buy from the co op they have a trailer spreader they will load the lime or fertilizer into it and send it with me for free.

Craig Miller":1q22ke86 said:
I know this is not going to answer your original question but if I buy from the co op they have a trailer spreader they will load the lime or fertilizer into it and send it with me for free.

the local coop also has the lime buggys and trucks. They will spread it for you for about 30$ an acre

I'd check with your local Ag Extension Office or the Local NRCS office. Last time we rented one from the NRCS. It was $125/day. We just had all our lime delivered a day or so in advance and had everything on site when we got the buggy. Best I remember it took me around 2 hours to spread lime on 20 acres @ 2 tons/acre.

Latest posts