Lime spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy44

Reaction score
I buy fertilizer from 2 different dealers in bulk and use there 5 ton spreader. Both of them say it can not be used to put out lime I would be willing to rent from them if it would work. The closest custom lime spreader to me is 50 miles away but I would like to do it myself if I could get a spreader. My question is what is the difference between a fertilizer spreader and lime spreader should it not work for both? I have a feeling it is there way of saying they do not want me to use it because I would have to get the lime elsewhere from a quarry,

cowboy44":1srasg8g said:
I buy fertilizer from 2 different dealers in bulk and use there 5 ton spreader. Both of them say it can not be used to put out lime I would be willing to rent from them if it would work. The closest custom lime spreader to me is 50 miles away but I would like to do it myself if I could get a spreader. My question is what is the difference between a fertilizer spreader and lime spreader should it not work for both? I have a feeling it is there way of saying they do not want me to use it because I would have to get the lime elsewhere from a quarry,

Lime spreaders have a wider chain on the bottom that feeds the material in larger amounts to the rear slingers.

They would work if you want to go over the field more than once.

What mikeC says makes sense. Typically lime (at least on my old place) is put out in tons/acre where fertilizer is put out in hundreds/acre.

Having said that, the last time I limed they used a fertilizer spreader. Don't know how many times they went over the field though but they put out 2 tons/acre.

Our supplier will send lime in a spreader but they have reinforced the rear door. Say that if the lime is a little wet it will put so much pressure on the door that it will blow it out.

Most buggies have a mesh chain. This chain will not hold up to the weight of lime. Also as was said before lime is spread in tons/a and the door width and height wont allow the required amount to come out accurately.

What Mike and Angus Guy say about the chains plus the sides are designed to minimize bridging. ( Material, especialy damp lime, that will bridge and not fall to the chain ).

Here is a lime spreader I used last year. The 76 horse tractor in the background was barking to pull it across wet clay.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=3319

You owe your dealers an apology. I wouldn't rent you a light spreader to spread lime either. :lol:

ALX