Lime Spreader HP

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFutureFarmer

Reaction score
I went into Agway the other day to look into spreading some lime on some pastures this fall and what size tractor is needed to spread it. Its a 3 ton spreader and the owner said 35hp is all you need. I thought 35 hp pulling and spreading 3 tons over hills seemed significantly low. Southern States has a 4 ton spreader but I haven't looked into the required hp for it. Is there some general rule for spreaders? (I have to borrow a tractor since I know I don't have one capable of spreading). I've always heard 10-15 hp per row on a corn planter so is there some general rule for spreading?

The lime spreaders I'm familiar with around here have a sma;; gas engine one them to actaully spread the stuff. 35 hp for a tractor to pull it seems a bit light, I used a 50 hp long with no problems.

A pull behind spreader doesn't need a lot of horse power to run it , but if you're going on hills you want a tractor that weighs as much or more than what you are pulling behind you . If it is a spreader with a floor chain to take the material back to the spinners , as you unload it takes the weight off the front of the spreader first taking weight off your drawbar , if you don't have four wheel drive you'll have trouble turning around uphill and if you turn downhill it will push you . Years ago I learned that the hard way.

I have a 3600 (about 35 hp) Ford and have been pulling a 300 gal sprayer with it. 2244 lbs not including trailer and tank. No way would I attempt to use it to pull a 3 ton spreader.

In my post I forgot to mention that it is a PTO driven spreader. I thought 35 hp seemed small. My boss has a new 50 hp TYM with cab, loader, and FWD I bet that would do just fine with a 3 or 4 ton spreader. (Correct me if I'm wrong :help: )

Latest posts