Lime rock and Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Whats the difference in the lime used to spread on the pastures and the lime rock that is in the ground. just about every farm in my area of bama has lime rock just a few feet down. I keep thinking I need to figure out how to grind it up and cash a big check :lol:

That could work. How about dissolving it in water and evaporate the water. The ph value probably changes depending upon Calcium content.

You still need to add lime with all that limestone in the ground?

There are areas in MN that have to much lime in the soil.

mnmtranching":899lt5cz said:
You still need to add lime with all that limestone in the ground?

There are areas in MN that have to much lime in the soil.

Yes. The solid rock makes it unavailable to plants.

denoginnizer":flrc57sk said:
Whats the difference in the lime used to spread on the pastures and the lime rock that is in the ground. just about every farm in my area of bama has lime rock just a few feet down. I keep thinking I need to figure out how to grind it up and cash a big check :lol:

Well you could but the check wouldn't be that much. Sorry. :cry2:

Then there are different grades of limestone too. Problem you'd have is getting the mining permits. Then there would be OSHA, OSM, EPD, EPA and a host of other little distractions. Probably be less of a headache to just take a hammer and pulverize what you want.

Are you up around sand mountain? If so, do ya'll still use much of that iron slag on your fields?