Lime question

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow I just had a couple hundred tons spread and it cost around $18 a ton. The quarry is within 15 miles and KY is very karst, though.

ClinchValley said:
Lime supply nearby went for $6/ton I believe, last year. I see semi truck trailer in and out of the place all day long. They have a successful business plan, that's for sure.
Clinch Valley is this place still open, and if so what is the name of it?

Wish I could get it for $16 a ton. I recently got a quote for $69 delivered and spread. However, I also got a quote of a 25 ton load delivered for $39 per ton but would have to have a spreader truck. I called local co-op and they will rent a pull behind spreader for $75 per day.

Papa who do you use to haul and spread, I live 30 miles south of Georgetown , there is no one locally that spreads lime.

papavillars said:
$47.00 delivered and spread. Comes out or Georgetown.

Have always been told that they lime that comes out of Georgetown is better than the lime that comes out of Crawford... supposedly much more water soluble.

hillbilly beef man said:
ClinchValley said:
Lime supply nearby went for $6/ton I believe, last year. I see semi truck trailer in and out of the place all day long. They have a successful business plan, that's for sure.
Clinch Valley is this place still open, and if so what is the name of it?

Cloud Nine is the place he was talking about back then. They sold out to Morristown Milling some time ago. I have a friend that says he can get it cheaper than Morristown Milling. I will see if I can get the guys name.

Around here lime is pretty cheap because it is a by-product of the zinc mining in the area. I seem to recall that at one point some outfit had a whole valley filled full of lime in Granger County.

PS: I have been waiting to get my hayfields tested, but the ground had been too darn hard to get soil samples! We need rain!!

We just put down 57 tons of lime, paid $22.50 a ton. That covered about 30 acres of land that tested a need of 2 tons/acre (our new land we bought). Our final bill is $1270. That works out to about $40 an acre, spread.

Latest posts