Lime question

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I'm about to buy and spread lime , I have found 20-24 ton truck loads of lime delivered from Tennessee for half of what I can buy it for here from the dealers . I have the equipment to handle/load the lime onto a spreader/truck. I'm having a hard time finding someone to spread it for me . Several dealers are willing to spread it at $8 a ton but only if they are selling me the lime too . Is this normal in your area ? thanks

It may be half as much, because the calcium is half as available. Yes, most will only spread their own product.

I bought my own belt spreading cart for that very reason, I can be independant and buy from where I want to, doesn't help you though.

Ken

Place I called here wouldn't even rent me a buggy if I couldn't prove the lime came from them. Check the local co-op, and also check local soil/water agencies. The soil/water in the next county here has a nice one. They do require you carry substantial insurance. I ended up spreading 20 tons with my old drop spreader and Ranger.

Bigfoot":1t9ge613 said:
It may be half as much, because the calcium is half as available. Yes, most will only spread their own product.
Bigfoot, you are dead right about this. You need to check the Effective Calcium Carbonate Equivalency numbers. Here in Texas, the lime that comes from Georgetown area has 98 ECCE factor so a ton will get you close to 100% of neutralizing effect. Another quarry in Southern Oklahoma has lime but it only checks 67% ECCE so you have to put out 3000 lbs/acre to get the same neutralizing effect.

In addition to the ECCE aspect, also consider: is this ag lime or an 'alkalinizing agent' that's an industrial process by-product?

Dr. Bob Van Saun (Penn St. U.) presented a case report a year or so back of a sheep flock that experienced severe lamb and ewe loss(nearly 100% death loss of 2-yr old ewes and 0% survival of their lambs) subsequent to molybdenum excess, effectively causing severe copper deficiency, following spreading of a limestone product that was a byproduct of the steel polishing industry... it was much less expensive than regular ag lime(awfully costly in the long run!)... but forages on that farm had 6X the Mb level of forages on the farm next door, and livers from dead sheep had Mb levels 2X the top end of the normal range.

There is also "caustic lime" which is not the same as field lime..
Caustic lime is what is used to dispose of sick dead animals that have a contagious disease..
Not what you want spread on your fields--normally that is..

Nite Hawk":1uxc7ie6 said:
Caustic lime is what is used to dispose of sick dead animals that have a contagious disease..
All lime is caustic, and used in composting "sick dead animals". Although I can't say I have ever seen a sick dead animal.
You can use quick-lime on fields to raise ph, and it will work faster than ag lime, just not around where animals graze until after a rain. But I don't know why you would, since it cost a whole lot more than ag lime. I guess if you had some really acidic soil you wanted to plant right away.

sim.-ang.king":c8xp7phu said:
Nite Hawk":c8xp7phu said:
All lime is caustic, and used in composting "sick dead animals". Although I can't say I have ever seen a sick dead animal.
You can use quick-lime on fields to raise ph, and it will work faster than ag lime, just not around where animals graze until after a rain. But I don't know why you would, since it cost a whole lot more than ag lime. I guess if you had some really acidic soil you wanted to plant right away.

Death warmed up??????

Ken

Lime supply nearby went for $6/ton I believe, last year. I see semi truck trailer in and out of the place all day long. They have a successful business plan, that's for sure.

Check around with surrounding counties soil conservation departments to see if they have any buggies you can rent. Our county has a 5 ton Chandler they will rent for $80 a day.

I just paid $63/ton delivered and spread for lime out of Georgetown to east Texas.

Latest posts