Lime Question - Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All, I just my load of ag lime dropped off earlier today. One load is supposed to be 24-25 tons. I guess I was thinking of a much bigger volume. My pile is about 15' x 17' with a max height of about 5'. Sure doesn't look like 24 tons....

Does this seem right?

Thanks,
Joseph

I believe in Tx the maxium an 18 wheeler can haul is 48000 lbs which is 24 tons, they need a little wiggle room if weighted. I buy gravel by weight the trailer always looks like it can haul more , they can not haul by volume.

yep, especially if its wet. I got a few loads back in the spring, it don't look it, but it is.

All, thanks for the replies. My soil sample called for 1 ton per acre. Was going to have 19 acres done with this 24 ton load (around 1.25 tons acre). Looking at this pile, I am not sure how that is going to happen.....

Those loads always look smaller when your paying for them... but I bet its close to what you wanted.
Besides, what you gonna do anyway?

All, thanks for the replies. Pardon the pun, but I think I was making a "mountain out of a mole hill". The pile spread over the 19 or so acres with some to spare.

Not sure why it looked so small, but as they started loading it, there was much more there than I thought. I guess I was just thinking 48,000lbs of lime would have been some big imposing looking pile or something.

I paid $38/ton for it. Got quotes from $36-$39. However, I had a recommendation from a friend for the place I ended up using.

I am in Cen. Tx also in what town is your distributor located, the closest to me is over 40 miles away in Waelder, I am in Lockhart.

to answer ur original question, they should have given you the weigh ticket from the scale. If they didn't then you don't really know what u got. since the same guy sold you the lime and spread it, he could deliver less, set the spreader to a lower amount and still cover the field and you wouldn't know the difference.

I always get weight ticket if I buy rock or lime.

Well, Thats true. Guys seemed like good folk, I doubt they would have done that. Maybe I will ask if I can ride with the driver next time to pick it up. The quarry would probably be a sight to see....