Lim Flex

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering taking some of my registered angus cows and inseminating with limi. Most of my customers are terminal bull buyers and, from what I've been reading, might benefit from a lim flex bull. I hate messing with something (reg angus) that's been so good through the years so I probably won't go whole hog . . . but still interesting in doing the best for my customers.

1. What do you buyers of terminal bulls think? Would that be an attractive option for you?

2. What's the market for Lim Flex heifers?

3. What semen should I be looking at for my shot at this?

I believe that would be a very wise choice. My market has been to supply the Lim bulls to put on the angus cows and it's doing pretty good. Once you have done this here is another market to look at, Strauss Veal. They are buying and paying over market price for Lims and 50 percent Lims. What they want is 400-500 live weight and with a 220-280 hot weight, they are paying an added bonus of 50 dollars. I have seen Lim-Flex heifers selling better than a Lim heifer. I don't know your cows but there are a lot of choices on bulls. Contact Grass Roots or any of the others and they can supply you with what you want. Good Luck

If you are going to do Lim Flex try a fullblood Limi bull. Contact Herman Symems at Limi Gene, He uses fullblood bulls on his red angus cattle.

I have gotten away from the Limi breed but some of my best calves were from a Limi bull on angus cows.

Limousin on Angus would be a great cross. First of all I believe you could find a great market for your Lim-Flex heifers. The heifers resulting from an Angus-Limousin cross should excell in mothering ability and have great carcass traits to pass on to their calves. Sell them as breds using a Limousin calving ease bull or an Angus calving ease bull. Indentify your market first. Use a Limousin bull if the buyer needs calves with a higher yielding carcass. An Angus bull would definitely help them retain a high quality grade. Or sell them as opens and let the buyer make his own decisions. As for semen to use I can direct you to some good bulls. Wulfs Nobel Prize is a great black bull bred by Wulf Limousin farm in Minnesota. He is homo-polled and black. He excells in growth and carcass traits while maintaining calving ease and a decent maternal epd. $40 a unit. They might give you a discount on a large order. Another outstanding Limousin breeder is Coleman Limousin in Montana. They win the peoples choice carload in Denver about every year. They have some really good sires Cole Magnum, Cole Black Tank, and Cole First Down. We have used Magnum and I can say his calves are always close to if not our best. Right now if you buy more than 10 units it is $20 bucks a unit. The First Down semen if from a clone of the original bull. He was probably one of the best bulls ever in the Limousin breed. PM me if you need more choices on bulls. We use quite an array of Limousin sires. Or call Herman at Limi Gene 1-800-722-2079. He is as nice of a person as they come. Good luck!

The problem with black purebred limi bulls is most of them are already about 15% angus, which will work with limflex as limflex precent can be from 25 to 75. If you use a fullblood bull you would be 50/50 with your angus cow. Your 50/50 calves should do better for the next cross, than if you use the diluted black purebred bulls for your first cross,

Red Bull Breeder":fhi66goi said:
The problem with black purebred limi bulls is most of them are already about 15% angus, which will work with limflex as limflex precent can be from 25 to 75. If you use a fullblood bull you would be 50/50 with your angus cow. Your 50/50 calves should do better for the next cross, than if you use the diluted black purebred bulls for your first cross,

good point. thanks for that.

Red Bull Breeder":46iuwfo6 said:

that would also allow me to retain heifers myself and put either a fullblood limi or angus back on them and still register as limflex

Latest posts