Lim-flex Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":bxfyx8h8 said:
Just curious why one would use a terminal type crossed with a maternal type to make a "good cow"?

Well it does sound a bit odd.

Stocker Steve":2ace1v7z said:
ALACOWMAN":2ace1v7z said:
1wlimo":2ace1v7z said:
The limflex is a nice good cow, and her calf is generally born without help, gets up and sucks, then grows. The resulting animal looks good, and tastes good too.

There is a certain other breed where this can not be said of them.
which un??

Simi
guess that could be said about alot of em ,,, i think it just depends on which side of the table your on

Stocker Steve":21bw60bc said:
ALACOWMAN":21bw60bc said:
1wlimo":21bw60bc said:
The limflex is a nice good cow, and her calf is generally born without help, gets up and sucks, then grows. The resulting animal looks good, and tastes good too.

There is a certain other breed where this can not be said of them.
which un??

Simi

Yes, never had much luck with any % of Simi. more work and no more reward.

Well, I bought her. She is actually from a Lim bull and out of a Angus/Charolais cow. She seems like a really nice heifer. Her full brother won the AOB market steer class at Houston. She herself has won a few classes in southeast Texas. She is bred to a full Lim bull, so her calf will have more Lim in it than she does. Has a VERY nice dispositioin from what I can tell so far. Excited to get to know this heifer and start showing her.

Any help on transfering ownership with the Texas Club Calf Asso.? I'm probably just going to call them, but thought I would ask here first.

ANAZAZI":11r4h4pv said:
KNERSIE":11r4h4pv said:
Just curious why one would use a terminal type crossed with a maternal type to make a "good cow"?

Obviously some of the late to arrive breeds (not type) are trying to draft behind the CBA marketing success. If you cann't beat um then just breed to um...
Cross bred cow making is more complicated. One theme is "getting a little muscle" along with the hybrid vigor. I am not sure how much a little muscle increases profit, but the resulting cows do look better.

With the way cattle have been bred up - - I am not sure how many maternal breeds are left.

Stocker Steve":2rqhbm6p said:
ANAZAZI":2rqhbm6p said:
KNERSIE":2rqhbm6p said:

Obviously some of the late to arrive breeds (not type) are trying to draft behind the CBA marketing success. If you cann't beat um then just breed to um...Cross bred cow making is more complicated. One theme is "getting a little muscle" along with the hybrid vigor. I am not sure how much a little muscle increases profit, but the resulting cows do look better.

With the way cattle have been bred up - - I am not sure how many maternal breeds are left.
i like that :clap:

One of my Limi flex heifers got into a fenced out conservation area this weekend. She found an island with a dead tree in the middle and made this her home base. She goes for a walk once in a while to graze on willow tips. Could be the start of a new easy keeping breed - - the Swamp flex!

Stocker Steve":1iuakog5 said:
One of my Limi flex heifers got into a fenced out conservation area this weekend. She found an island with a dead tree in the middle and made this her home base. She goes for a walk once in a while to graze on willow tips. Could be the start of a new easy keeping breed - - the Swamp flex!
:lol: :lol: :clap:

I don't just raise Simmentals. I have a small herd of Reg. Simmentals and a large herd of Commercial cattle with several breeds being represented. In this herd I have a few Purebred Limousin cows. I try not to pick on any particular breed because they all can offer needed characteristics at a particular needed time. Why I mentioned anything on this thread was because those Limousin cows I have, tend to have the lowest selling calves each year and it's not because they aren't good calves. What I've been told is because it's the large round muscle in the rump. The other problem I have with them is that they are the wildest, stubborn, and worst disposition cows on the farm. I always dread herd work day when one of them comes to the headgate. It's a bunch of blowing, down on the knees, head swinging etc... and they do it before we even touch them. Now they weren't raised here on the farm like some of the rest therefore maybe it was something their original breeder did to them I don't know, but they can be a handful. I keep them around because they are good milkers, breed back as scheduled, and have nice calves. Therefore I would buy a Lim-Flex before anymore Limousins to hopefully get a more desired calf for the buyers around here. All the Lim-Flex I've seen look good and have well dispositions. I probably would buy a Sim-Angus or a Balancer first just because I have more Simmental and Gelbvieh influence in my herds and there is alot more of those breeders around here. Started the Reg. Simmi Herd because I always wanted to raise Reg. Stock and there is bigger well known breeders of that breed in my area. To be honest I'm the most partcial to the Gelbvieh's but it was to hard to find good breeding stock around here because of the low supply of breeders in the area and I didn't have time to pick up some elsewhere when we started our Reg. Operation.

I did try to keep one of my Limousin's, heifer calf for a replacement along with two other sim cross, and gelbvieh cross heifers. The Limousin heifer wouldn't stop to eat with here mates, all she could do was run in a circle around the weaning pen. She jumped a gate into another pen and then jumped its fence to get out in the lot, all within less than 10 minutes of being in the pen and the fences aren't that short. Meanwhile the other two ate their feed did some bauling and weaned pretty easily. The next time the Limousin heifer was up, she went through the exit hole into the livestock trailer and we had to get her through it in a hurry or she was gonna be at it again. It's to bad because she would have made a nice cow maybe crazy but nice.

Flying Simms their are knuckleheads in all breeds.....The cross of a Limi on a Angus makes and outstanding cross....u get a carcass that has a higher yield with more internal marbling...its a win win....I am not a fan of these hybrid bulls though...I still consider them crossbred mutts....and yes some will be singing the praises of these crossbred bulls with their Marc reserch to back it up....The only problem with a lot of that research is they pick nothing but the best of animals of respective breeds to obtain it....It sort taints the info in my opinion.

The only Simmental cattle I have dealt with were Simbrahs, and those girls could get quite salty at times. That doesnt make the idea that Simms are crazy does it? I know your gonna hop out their and say it was the brimmer that made em salty....WRONG....Had some Gelbvieh/Brahman crosses out of the same cows and they were gentle as a lamb...No breed is perfect they all have their warts.

Some folks like to bash a whole breed just because of a few head of cows. If flyingsimms can't get the same money for the limi cross calves he might as well get rid of them old limi cows. If them limi cows are so bad reckon why he has still got them??

congratulations on your purchase, there are a few people on here that you can count for helpful information, and there not the folks that post on a thread and start pimping another breed that has nothing to do with the original question.

Latest posts