Lil Red Bramer Ruby

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Well you have been wanting to look at my cattle here you go.
causticscattle.jpg
[/img]

You have weather cattle. One of the signs that the weather is going to change is that they will bed down on the side of a hill away from which way the storm is coming.

Looks like some of my cows. I like 'em. Mine also predict weather. They go into the woods when rain's imminent.

Hi Caustic,

Do I see a Brindle ??

How many cows and acres do you have ?

I don't see any ROCKS.

No snow, no rocks. Hardly seems fair.
What state are you laughing at me from ?

CowCop":3on93uzg said:
Hi Caustic,

Do I see a Brindle ??

How many cows and acres do you have ?

I don't see any ROCKS.

No snow, no rocks. Hardly seems fair.
What state are you laughing at me from ?

Yes I have a lot of brindles and F-1 Brafords.
To the acres question several hundred and there are no rocks.
Low last night 49 high 65 today.
The Lone Star state.

Hey Caustic,I think i can almost see a little hump.Nice variety of cattle.Glad to see some cattle that aren't all red or black.Is that a black one in the back right?Not the whiteface but the one to the left of it.Good cows and a nice looking bull.have a nice day.

The Lone Star state.

AND you have sunshine ?

But what about rattlesnakes?

Do you ( or anyone else ) have any problems/mortality because of snake bites ? How many cows do you lose per year because of them.

I have wanted to ask this question for a long time.

Thanks.

Caustic Burno":usm2lnw0 said:
To much ear if it's in your back pocket, I still have some old Cherokee Bramers I will have to get a pic just for you.

Sounds great, would love to see them. Our first registered cow, Cherokeeruby, had almost pure Cherokee Ranch breeding. Have never been able to duplicate her but still trying.

CowCop":2iz223jc said:
The Lone Star state.

AND you have sunshine ?

But what about rattlesnakes?

Do you ( or anyone else ) have any problems/mortality because of snake bites ? How many cows do you lose per year because of them.

I have wanted to ask this question for a long time.

Thanks.

We have had cows and calves get bitten by Copperheads, usually the leg, it swells up and gets stiff, but none have ever died from snakebite. The swelling goes down after a week or two.

Last month we did lose a gander to snakebite.

[We have had cows and calves get bitten by Copperheads, usually the leg, it swells up and gets stiff, but none have ever died from snakebite. The swelling goes down after a week or two.
[/quote]

I agree, most bites in the leg area, not a lot of problems. I do remember back when I was a kid my Dad losing one older calf ( ~400 lbs ) that he suspected to be a snake bite in the neck area. We found it down next to a marshy area where we always saw water moccasins, a large swelling in the fleshy part of the dew lap.

;-)

In the early 60s along the mex border we would lose a calf or two every spring from snake bites in the neck area. We assumed it was from the cold nights and the snakes getting close to the calves for warmth on those sruprise cold nights. We lost more to illegals sneaking across the border at night though. Several a month from that.

dun

I had two cows come up with snake bites on their faces last summer-both were under their left eyes. They were really swollen-looked like a person with a black eye except there was no discoloration, only swelling. Both were swollen for about two weeks. Both cows were bred-about half way through. Both went on to have healthy calves-I never did any kind of treatment for them. We have a hill side that is quite rocky and has a good bit of scrub brush on it, it's very steep and is hard to get over with the tractor. This seems to be their favorite place to graze and that's where I'm assuming that they got bitten.

My kind of cows Burno...never was partial to any one color or fancy fads. Also like a good Hereford bull

Latest posts