Like it was January

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My cows are still mowing through hay, like it was January. I Have fed hay til April 6th, once years ago. I've normally slowed down by now. I know everybody's climate is different, but is anybody else experiencing a similar situation?

Bigfoot":1fwhjwuh said:
My cows are still mowing through hay, like it was January. I Have fed hay til April 6th, once years ago. I've normally slowed down by now. I know everybody's climate is different, but is anybody else experiencing a similar situation?

Yes, I'm trying to buy 50 more rolls.

Hay prices were low here last fall. They are continuing to slowly increase. My trucker said a longer (snow is still here and more expected on Monday) and colder winter really increased usage.

They are burning through it today. Hope to get a few to some pasture/volunteer wheat next week, but that's if I can get down the road.

We had the unusually cold January here too and one guy who has retailed hay as his main income for some 40+ years said he thought he had 2 years worth stockpiled. He said that's all gone and I'm scrounging for my customers. What I find is very poor quality.

Texasmark":s8yzeu9j said:
We had the unusually cold January here too and one guy who has retailed hay as his main income for some 40+ years said he thought he had 2 years worth stockpiled. He said that's all gone and I'm scrounging for my customers. What I find is very poor quality.

I went through a third more than normal . I stockpile hay in hurricane years as we always have a tough winter if hit by a hurricane. You can bet it will snow and be colder than normal on years we're hit.
My fishing partner custom bales he was out of hay for sale in January.
He supplies the local feed stores as well.

About normal UP here still 3 feet of snow on the ground and will be feeding hay for 8 more weeks or so. Usually shoot for getting cows to pasture by mid to late may.

Mine slowed down and then really picked it back up this week. Usually mine about quit the first week of April.
Would like to get some urea on pasture but would need a hovercraft spreader right now. Maybe I can invent one for us mud farmers.

We had to start feeding early so we are officially out of hay. Turned them out yesterday on the grass we have and praying this promised rain materializes. We fed hay for 6 months this round.

Will be feeding the last of the bought rounds this week , back to small squares , hopefully not very long.

Bigfoot":17we3nd1 said:

i was wondering how you guys were doing.. I always had my cows on pasture on March 20th every year in KY.

I have 60 more rolls of hay, should be plenty to get me through but I really would like to see some higher lows.. this 40 - 50 day, but 20 low at night isn't getting the grass going.

We have 9 rolls left. Looking for some cheap hay around here, maybe 30 rolls. Ought to get us through.

Don't have the grass i would like to have to turn them out yet. But, gonna have to do something. One hayfield has really came on, thought about turning them in on it for temporary. But am hesitant.

Thought we were going to get an early jump to grazing, boy was I mistaken.

Hoping and praying we can find some ground to lease for hay this year.

Would a light application of N be worth throwing on pastures this week? Wet ground or not... I'm really wanting to try a more intense type of rotation. But need the grass to grow some more first. Gotta find some more hay I reckon.

ddd75":tvs7hp56 said:
Bigfoot":tvs7hp56 said:

i was wondering how you guys were doing.. I always had my cows on pasture on March 20th every year in KY.

I have 60 more rolls of hay, should be plenty to get me through but I really would like to see some higher lows.. this 40 - 50 day, but 20 low at night isn't getting the grass going.

I am just a little south of you. We got the biggest snow of the season yesterday. Like you, I should be on grass now, but not going to happen for another 10 days or more!

ClinchValley":38d1v394 said:
We have 9 rolls left.

I have 5 rolls left. I have a friend that will sell me more if I run out (but I am hoping to avoid that). The good news is that it is supposed to warm up in our area starting tomorrow and for at least the next 10 days. I am seriously thinking about getting some N on the pastures though to jump start things.

Fertilizer Buggy is coming on Thursday to hit my hayfields. It is just too wet for the trucks.

chevytaHOE5674":26wc84ie said:
About normal UP here still 3 feet of snow on the ground and will be feeding hay for 8 more weeks or so. Usually shoot for getting cows to pasture by mid to late may.

How can you even show a profit when you are having to feed hay for 7 months?

sstterry":2898oo5d said:
I am seriously thinking about getting some N on the pastures though to jump start things.

Me too. How much are you thinking about putting on per acre? Is clover everywhere on your place this year, too?

Buy hay, or buy some N. Gonna be more cost effective to spread a ton of N around I'm pretty sure, maybe buy 10 or 15 rolls to give it time to do it's thing.

It looks like its going to be in the 40's at night for the next few days. That will make the grass start growing again.

Latest posts