Lightweight Texas calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow2

Reaction score
Got a chance to buy pot loads of lightweight Texas calves. Drought causing the sale. $1.47 for 3-weights. There's a little ear, most are blacks-the rest Chars... I'm told...the calves are weaning good with no health problems. Does that price sound like what your seeing at Tx sale barns? maybe a little less as there would be trucking.
Any comments?

Chocolate Cow2":1zql70x0 said:
Got a chance to buy pot loads of lightweight Texas calves. Drought causing the sale. $1.47 for 3-weights. There's a little ear, most are blacks-the rest Chars... I'm told...the calves are weaning good with no health problems. Does that price sound like what your seeing at Tx sale barns? maybe a little less as there would be trucking.
Any comments?

4wts brought a 1.60 on steer 1.45 on heifers at Livingston on Saturday.
Those were black with some ear.
We have grass.
https://easttexaslivestock.com/wp-conte ... t-7-31.pdf

Here's my local market:
http://www.fandrlive.com/market-reports.html
They look similar. Lightweights are hard to come by locally. Pairs are on grass with most attention focused on row crops and alflafa. Won't be many calves coming to town for several months. Heavier calves have moved out of the Flint Hills and into feed lots.

300-400lb steers brought 1.15 - 2.00, and heifers brought 1.15 - 1.70 at Navasota last Saturday, with 1815 total head sold.

greybeard":1ze4832o said:
Caustic Burno":1ze4832o said:
We have grass.
100-200 miles North, that isn't the case. West and South probably not looking too good either.
You know GB, Caustic claims to live in the thicket but I believe it actually a rainforest. :lol:

1982vett":2ga0csoi said:
greybeard":2ga0csoi said:
Caustic Burno":2ga0csoi said:
We have grass.
100-200 miles North, that isn't the case. West and South probably not looking too good either.
You know GB, Caustic claims to live in the thicket but I believe it actually a rainforest. :lol:

It actually is.
Average is 55 to 60 inches a year.

Today the Big Thicket retains numerous species, and has been described as the "biological crossroads of North America" or the "American Ark". The area contains over 100 species of trees and shrubs, with Longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) once dominating the region. Big Thicket National Preserve has introduced programs to re-establish this dominance, including one of the US's most active prescribed burn programs. With the National Park Service's centennial occurring in 2016, efforts are in progress to plant between 100,000 and 300,000 Longleaf Pines. The National Park Service lists more than one thousand species of flowering plants and ferns that can also be found in the thicket, including 20 orchids and four types of carnivorous plants.

Animal life includes 300 species of migratory and nesting birds, many endangered or threatened including the Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and possibly extinct Ivory-billed Woodpecker.[8] The thicket is also home to numerous reptile species, including all four groups of North American venomous snakes and alligators.

The aggressive back grounding guys here like calves from 300 to 450 pounds. There is a big difference in the amount of buying interest between a 275# calf and a 325# calf. In ether case - - you need some shelter for pee wees in the artic vortex. I use small pens in a shed to keep an eye on them till they are on feed.

How many 3 wts. in a Texas pot load?

Did anyone read the Decatur report birddog posted?
"There is growing concern about the build up of frozen meats, inventory cattle, hog and chicken, as result of export shipments being pretty well shut off. The storage facilities are at capacity – something has to give. Maybe we need to send out new bumper stickers saying "Eat More Meat". At some point, supply and demand economics will force corrective action."

Chocolate Cow2":1iyblje6 said:
"There is growing concern about the build up of frozen meats, inventory cattle, hog and chicken, as result of export shipments being pretty well shut off. The storage facilities are at capacity – something has to give. Maybe we need to send out new bumper stickers saying "Eat More Meat". At some point, supply and demand economics will force corrective action."

Throw away the older meat and eat fresh beef :hide:

Stocker Steve":2nhm3xe6 said:
The aggressive back grounding guys here like calves from 300 to 450 pounds. There is a big difference in the amount of buying interest between a 275# calf and a 325# calf. In ether case - - you need some shelter for pee wees in the artic vortex. I use small pens in a shed to keep an eye on them till they are on feed.

How many 3 wts. in a Texas pot load?
50,000 lbs.

Chocolate Cow2":2w48lrs7 said:

That was the second time I have read about the storage problem, I believe I saw it first on the cattle report page. I expect that if it gets worse, it will knock the heck out of the prices for slaughter bulls and cows and probably put a damper on large calves. The slaughter cow market is already not very good. My two culls sold last we week only brought .46/lb. They were older cows but in decent shape. The same type sold two weeks earlier brought .50 to .53

JMJ Farms":28yjknzs said:
Chocolate Cow2":28yjknzs said:

Throw away the older meat and eat fresh beef :hide:
Turn it into "fresh pet food". Our small town grocery store just put in a small refrigerator for "fresh pet food". Didn't take time to look what was in it but whatever.... :)

Latest posts