lights in the barn

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
I finally got power to the barn, but since it is a seperate meter and about 400' from the house, it was still a pain to walk to or from the barn to the house in the dark.
Being the cheap person I am I was reluctant to run a seperate line to the house just to be able to turn on the lights and the spot lights I put on the house just didn't cut it, I started looking at another method of turning them off and on from the house and intersecting so spotlights from the house to the barn and barn to house, and it dawned on me!
Remote control!!! used the reciever and remote control from an old garage door opener to turn on one set of lights that gave me a good decent lit path to the barn, at least it works for now :D :D

I know a barking dog can set them off. But can a mooing cow do it?

Because they were able to run less than 1000' from a transformer to the barn I had to supply a trench 24" wide by 36" deep and mount a pedistal to the barn for the meter all I had to agree to was a min $25.00 per month usasge for 3 yrs.
This was done by a co-op so not sure what it would be by a non co-op company.

It was about the same 8 years ago where I'm at. I'm overhead and had to pay $900 a power poll and had to sign a contract of connection for 3 years (to pay for the wire). I'm using a transformer that's feeding my house.

Where I'm at if you use under X amount of power you get charged a connection fee of $20 that covers up to $20 worth of power. Then you get all the other charges that they tack on.

hopalong":jlzwiwln said:
Remote control!!! used the reciever and remote control from an old garage door opener to turn on one set of lights that gave me a good decent lit path to the barn, at least it works for now :D :D
Excellent idea. Why change what works? I think I will do the same on mine.
Thanks.
By the way if you want to add more lights on that circuit you can do it by putting them on a set of contactors that will carry more amps.

Coulda just saved your money and used a flashlight to get back to the house :lol: ;-)

LoveMoo11":3cu18gg4 said:
Coulda just saved your money and used a flashlight to get back to the house :lol: ;-)

Have to be better than us, I think we lose a mag light at least once a month, that's over 30 dollars :lol2: .

Larry

LoveMoo11":2qgknfh6 said:

The cost was for a couple of feet of wire a battery for the remote a couple of wire nuts total cost maybe 3 bucks, batteries for a flashlight would cost that much and need to be replaced :banana: :banana: :banana: