Lightning Strikes TWICE - Twin calves x 2

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyBlue

Reaction score
I was bragging to one of my fellow weekend ranchers at work this morning about finding another baby in the pasture over the weekend (probably gonna name him Tom Brady!) when he informed me that one of his cows had twins on Friday. Not only that, but he found a set of twins in his pasture about two weeks ago. Wow! His partner (his uncle) said that he had been "in the cattle business 30 years and had never seen twins" and now two sets in two weeks in a little herd. I have been around my dad's herd, now my mom's herd (gonna be my herd, but I ain't in no hurry for it) for 50+ years, and never seen twins. My dad said he found a stillborn calf one time, and he believed it was a twin that was too weak to survive, but that was before my time.

Seems like I have a set or 2 every year. Most of the time it's the same cows. Seems like they are either a twinner or not. You know which one to watch now any way.

Bigfoot":17dlr52q said:
Seems like I have a set or 2 every year. Most of the time it's the same cows. Seems like they are either a twinner or not. You know which one to watch now any way.

Same here! For some reason, mine have been different colors as of late. Only had one set where the calves were the same color in the last 5 years.

My twins over the last 5 years, out of my own personal herd of 70 cattle (not counting the other cattle on the farm):
-Twin heifers, one solid black, one with white socks and a blaze.
-Twin heifers, one red and one black.
-Twin heifers, one red whiteface and one black whiteface.
-One mixed sex set, one solid black, one with a whiteface.

-The most recent-and most odd- set were twin heifers, one black, one gray. Kinda wondering whether or not they were from two different sires. I know it's rare, but the coloration didn't quite match up! Had a young char x bull in with her who was still nursing at the time (around 7 months old) and had AIed her to a homozygous black Sim bull. I guess the char bull got the job done! Turns out he bred about 5 others. :lol: Cattle always seem to find a way.

-The other oddest twin scenario I can recall was a mixed set. One was solid black, the other spotted up. One was about 65lbs, the other was only about 35. Neither of them lived and the cow was shipped. Vet said she had some odd old internal uterine damage.

Had a Holstein cow have a set of twins many years ago. One was purebred Holstein. The other Holstein/angus cross.

2 years ago we had 3 sets of twins and they all made it. That was out of about 50 cows. Only twins we have seen in many years.

Favorite cow is xtra big & has "different" disposition. My husband thinks she's pregnant with twins. I read some info that says twins usually come early.

Latest posts