Lightning Bugs

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
When I was a child, 40 or 45 years ago, they were much more prevalent than they are now. Shortly after dark this time of year there would be several per square foot in some places. I don't know if fire ants, or what, are to blame. I saw almost none for years, but they are slowly coming back. Still nowhere near like they used to be, but I am seeing more now than I have in many years.

What are y'all seeing regarding them?

Ive thought about what happened to them many times. I certainly dont know but i suspect fire ants. They've eliminated many of our native species in parts of texas

I've seen tons of them, but admittedly not as many as when I was a kid.
I figured this year, most of them simply drowned.
From what I've read, WE are the reason ya don't see as many, but not because of insecticide or herbicide use. Our lights interfere with their light flashes, even a car going by at night. They use the flashing lights as a mating function and the more towns expand, and the more artificial lights we have around, the fewer fireflies successfully mate.

I remember catching them in a jar when I was a kid. I saw some last but not like they use to be. I wish the fire ants, flies, mosquitos, dirt daubers, nats, grasshoppers and wasp would go away.

wlamarparmer":u6a0ri8b said:
http://www.firefly.org/why-are-fireflies-disappearing.html

Thank you for posting that. It makes sense, but doesn't explain why they seem to be making a comeback. Maybe that's only in my immediate area?

There looking for live in all the wrong places. Love bugs may have something to do with the demise of the fireflies.

I live on a hilltop and see very few around house. Do see fair # around lake and marshy area below dam.
Found website last summer, sitting outside enjoying early evening when a swarm came through the woods.
Watched them for approx 30 min as they swarmed through the wooded area (by house would have been direct
route). Had seen them all my life, but first time ever seeing a swarm all together, it was quite a sight.

I live in western NC in the foothills region. Last year my wife and I spent hours each night just watching the lightning bugs. There seemed to be more than ever. The soybean field and trees were covered. It almost looked like Christmas lights that had been hung in the trees. Its still a little early for them to be out around here, but I am looking forward to their light shows.

Latest posts