Lightening. Yikes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Not an electrician by any means but that looks fried to a crisp. We had a guy get hit by lightening Tuesday while he was strapping some equipment on a truck down. He'll be alright but it burnt his knees and soles of his feet pretty bad.

It literally melted some of the metal. Amazingly the pole is completely intact, not split down the middle or badly burned.

Guy got nailed in the Wal Mart parking lot last week in a neighboring town. The lightning struck a pole and discharged into the asphalt. Very lucky to be alive with evidently no significant injuries.
http://www.newscow.net/story.php?StoryID=12863

You can bet that fence got pretty dang electrified for a millisecond too. Good thing no one was working on it at the time. bt..dt.

greybeard":178ccwve said:
You can bet that fence got pretty dang electrified for a millisecond too. Good thing no one was working on it at the time. bt..dt.
My replacement heifers are on the other side of the road - darn good thing the bulls weren't snortin' & bellowing along the fence like usual!

When we got hit by the tornado last Oct a crew was working on the oil well in that same pasture, not 1/2 mile away from where it touched down. Of course their main objective was to get the best pics possible, not seek shelter and then go back to work.

TCRanch":14vuqjd1 said:
Now we know why the well was down in the east 80. Fried the transformers and blew everything into the pasture. Lucky none of the bulls or cows were hit!
That pic is like nothing I've ever seen. Sure glad no cows or humans were hurt.We've actually had the electric co install some protection devices after lightning damage at neighbors, but it wasn't anything like that. I'm still cleaning up from storm.

reeler":al3ti2u2 said:
TCRanch":al3ti2u2 said:
Now we know why the well was down in the east 80. Fried the transformers and blew everything into the pasture. Lucky none of the bulls or cows were hit!
That pic is like nothing I've ever seen. Sure glad no cows or humans were hurt.We've actually had the electric co install some protection devices after lightning damage at neighbors, but it wasn't anything like that. I'm still cleaning up from storm.
We have surge protectors on the house - worth every penny with our nasty storms! BTW, get ready for another round, starting Wed.

TCRanch":1kzt84z3 said:
D2Cat":1kzt84z3 said:
I thought the weather man said rain tonight, nice for 5 days?
Possibility of severe storms tonight for most of eastern KS, nice Mon & Tues but storms picking up again Wed. We needed the rain but enough, already!
Like D2, I had heard "nice for 5 days", & was relieved.Now we're in red on weather channel, like you said.I've still got 2 babies due anytime,in fact 1 cow is acting weird today. Storms supposedly have an effect on cows giving birth, but it's kinda like the weather forecast-who knows :kid:

reeler":2fgs1ci2 said:
TCRanch":2fgs1ci2 said:
D2Cat":2fgs1ci2 said:
I thought the weather man said rain tonight, nice for 5 days?
Possibility of severe storms tonight for most of eastern KS, nice Mon & Tues but storms picking up again Wed. We needed the rain but enough, already!
Like D2, I had heard "nice for 5 days", & was relieved.Now we're in red on weather channel, like you said.I've still got 2 babies due anytime,in fact 1 cow is acting weird today. Storms supposedly have an effect on cows giving birth, but it's kinda like the weather forecast-who knows :kid:
Looks like my area has been downgraded to just 40% t-storms tonight (not severe). It's a pretty good bet they'll calve at the worst possible time. Heaven forbid they seek shelter at the barn :roll:

Latest posts