Light

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus said:
Never thought I would see thug mentality in the destruction of property so openly advocated on this forum....
I console myself that most are typing in jest.
I believe your right about it being in jest

pdfangus said:
ga.prime said:
I despise night lights. Any tips on best way to disable one? The easiest way I know is pull up close to it and shoot it with a load of buckshot, but you never know these days if you're being videotaped.

Like I said above....our yard light is from the power company....electric coop....I pay a small fee every month....if I want it gone I call them and tell them to shut it off.....I sort of like mine..in 32 years it has needed service twice.
The "small" monthly fee by our co-op is to cover the purchase price of the yard light.
In 1993 we purchased our own and had our electrician install it onto our pole and wire it to a standard light switch in the house. Love it and have never had to replace or service it yet.
I remember weighing the pros and cons of sodium vs mercury vapor... think we went with mercury.

pdfangus said:
Never thought I would see thug mentality in the destruction of property so openly advocated on this forum....

Not that it makes a big rat's a$$, but my comment stemmed from a couple youngsters back in the late 70's where the sheriff linked them up to almost 50 vapor lights shot out with a 22 rifle. I guess that's real life jest. :lol:

slick4591 said:
pdfangus said:

Not that it makes a big rat's a$$, but my comment stemmed from a couple youngsters back in the late 70's where the sheriff linked them up to almost 50 vapor lights shot out with a 22 rifle. I guess that's real life jest. :lol:

That was kinda my point....
the thread was sort of suggesting new ways ....
not trying to be the forum conscience....
not a role I am well suited to...
but thousands of people read this forum...

On the Flintstones, a small bird sits inside the light and turns it on every night before he goes to bed.

Shoot... if I was closer I would climb up and changing it for you. Or I'll bet I can bring my hooks as a carry on it you buy the ticket...

Ohio Cowboy said:
Shoot... if I was closer I would climb up and changing it for you. Or I'll bet I can bring my hooks as a carry on it you buy the ticket...
TSA probably won't let you anywhere near an airplane with something that pointed...

STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!
If it is anywhere near the transformer you need to let the power company deal with it. Those wires leading to the transformer are not insulated and probably are carrying about 7200 volts. The electricity can arc if you get anywhere near them. You don't have to touch them, only get close to them to be electrocuted. I have seen several of deaths and severe injuries from these situations and it is not something you need to do by yourself.

It is actually above the transformer a bit. It is a bucket truck deal for sure. Either that or just go on living in the dark. I got busy yesterday doing nothing and forgot to call Idaho Power. It is on my list for today.

Dave said:
It is actually above the transformer a bit. It is a bucket truck deal for sure. Either that or just go on living in the dark. I got busy yesterday doing nothing and forgot to call Idaho Power. It is on my list for today.

Good that you are calling the Power Company. There is a reason they put those things 30' feet above the ground. It is so you can't get near them. They refer to it as "air insulation". I am representing a widow right now whose husband was electrocuted while filling a grain bin. The Utility wires in that case were way out of code!

Night lights are ok if you live in town, there's countless other lights so one more makes no difference. Don't know why anybody would want one in the wilderness, most unnatural. You can see them from unlimited distances.

ga.prime said:
Night lights are ok if you live in town, there's countless other lights so one more makes no difference. Don't know why anybody would want one in the wilderness, most unnatural. You can see them from unlimited distances.

Forget to leave a porch light on and stay out after dark. It can be pitch dark here. Two months ago it didn't get light until 7:30 and was dark by 4:30. Just walking to the shop, wood shed, barn, or the pickup required a flash light. Drive down the road in this valley after dark and you can pick out the ranches by the light they all have in their yard. By the time you can see ours you are on our property. Might be on the county road but it is where that road cuts through our property. Want to be out in lightless wilderness? Go North that wilderness runs for 20 miles, or West the next ranch is 15 miles, or to the South it is probably 40 miles or more. But in my yard I don't care to stumble around in the dark.

About 6 years ago, I had an old Ford rear tractor wheel in the yard, turned upside down to use as a 'fire pit'. Came walking out of the shop late one night, headed for the back porch in the dark, and decided to go around the side of the house to the front porch instead and tripped over the wheel in the dark. Foot caught the first rim it encountered, I fell with both shins down on the other side of the steel rim. I thought I had broke both legs. Pretty sure both my shinbones are still dented.
I put up a dusk til dawn light in the back yard 2 days later and threw the tractor rim on the scrap pile........we never used it anyway.