Light them up

Help Support CattleToday:

That's something not done around here. How often you burn them off, every year, every other?
There are different methods depending on what your goal is. Some people put their pastures in a rotation where they get burned every 2, 3, 4 years. Some may burn mainly when we have had a wet year and they end up with excess grass. Then some people who are wanting to thin the brush out quite a bit may burn almost ever year for several years.

They ever recommend fast burn vs slow and/or spring vs summer burns to also help with your goals for the property.

With the property in the picture it has not had livestock in several years plus it has all that trash from the illegals. Our goal is to take out the matted up grass, clean out the trash, and try to knock some of the brush back.

Looks like Texas P&W may have let one get away from them in Bastrop County Tx.
(scroll down to the bottom of the article for confirmation about how it probably began)

TP&W scheduled burn gets out of hand
A cousin lives just north of the fire-was getting ready to evacuate and the wind died down. Same area that burned 10 years ago. Not sure why TPW picked a dry windy day in a dry windy month to do a burn.

I saw two burns along the water on the 18th from where I was working.

These parks ands places like that end up a major fire hazard. The fuel just accumulates through out the year.

We had a couple volunteer firefighters just wearing us out about coming out to help us put a fire out that had gotten outside the boundary a couple years ago. I finally told them... it's like noon, no one is in danger, we have plenty of time to make a plan and safely contain it. We have tons of resources and contingencies in place. What's yalls problem? Would you rather get a call at 3am because a car ran off the road or illegals caught this place on fire and have a major fire ripping across the country side, in the pitch black, with no plan?

Little known fact...burning wood generates less CO2 greenhouse emissions (better for environment) than letting the trees rot naturally during their entire lifetime. I used to have 40 foot flames on my ranch w/ permission....until they banned it altogether.

it was really dry and windy here today, I have some dry weedy/grass country that is that color. your photo gave my stomach a strange reaction because of the wind rattling doors right now. 😬
It's not the wind as much as the humidity. We had high humidity and the wind didn't really kick up until well after lunch. We were blacked in where we wanted to be by that time.

We have had a ton of fires lately starting off roads from towe chains and cigarettes and all kinds of others stuff. It has every one on edge because of the amount of fuel, in the area, this year.

Latest posts