lifespan of cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

fulltimer52

Reaction score
Hello. Am curious at to what the useful age is for angus cattle. At present we are starting our herd...we have 2 each 2 year olds and 2 each 1 year olds. Was curious as to how long they can safely produce calves, and the average life span of them.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Regards,

Bill

fulltimer52":1ixcait1 said:
Hello. Am curious at to what the useful age is for angus cattle. At present we are starting our herd...we have 2 each 2 year olds and 2 each 1 year olds. Was curious as to how long they can safely produce calves, and the average life span of them.

Regards,

Bill

You can probably expect anywhere from 6-12 years of age. Depends on the genetics, managment and even the individual cow

dun

I bought a heifer once that was out of a cow that was 21 when she produced her.

But don't keep them that long! At 10 I start to watch them carefully, at 12 to 15 I generally ship them.

We start breeding our registered Texas Longhorns at 14-15 mos old. We have several Dams that are in the 10-15 yr old range & still producing great! Most Longhorns easily calve into late teens, some as late as early to mid 20's. We have no problem buying a quality pedigreed, fertile, conformation cow 10-15 years old.

Running Arrow Bill":1mnhxl5r said:
We start breeding our registered Texas Longhorns at 14-15 mos old. We have several Dams that are in the 10-15 yr old range & still producing great! Most Longhorns easily calve into late teens, some as late as early to mid 20's. We have no problem buying a quality pedigreed, fertile, conformation cow 10-15 years old.

If I read the question correctly it was Angus that were inquired about

dun

But don't keep them that long! At 10 I start to watch them carefully, at 12 to 15 I generally ship them.[/quote]

When you sell them at that age, how are they classified at the sale barn? Are those what they call "packers?"

eric":1gt0pfwu said:
When you sell them at that age, how are they classified at the sale barn? Are those what they call "packers?"

That depends on the sale, i.e., regular auction or slaughter cow. But even then it's dependent on there condition a much as anything else

dun

i sold a angus cross and her daughter. the mom was 12 year old ans the daughter ten, they were short solid and a five year old. they calved every ten or eleven months. good cows. sure would like to have some more.

dun":17y8g9ej said:
Running Arrow Bill":17y8g9ej said:

If I read the question correctly it was Angus that were inquired about

dun

Sorry Dun...guess I just wanted to toss in a "flip side of the record" tidbit. Didn't want to start a politically incorrect zinger...just a comparison note... :roll:

fulltimer52":34bchxri said:

Regards,

Bill
I would expect for them, in good condition, to produce for 8 to 12 years.That should be the average life spwn. When they quit breeding back it is time for them to take a trip.

Thanks for all the help everyone. We are looking forward to adding a few more to the "herd" next spring. We were contacted by someone locally who has a couple of 10 year olds that he is trying to get rid of, they are currently bred back.

Again, thanks for the input, we appreciate it.

Regards,

Bill

dun":3ooat9yw said:
fulltimer52":3ooat9yw said:

Regards,

Bill

You can probably expect anywhere from 6-12 years of age. Depends on the genetics, managment and even the individual cow

dun

I agree 100% keep good records and a close eye on each individual. Management, management e.g. If you let them graze close to the ground their teeth won't hold up as long as cows on tall grass.

Talked to a neighbor that sold a fourteen year old cow yesterday that had had eighteen calves . Three sets of twins and a set of tripplets. I think he said one year she didn't calve .

It was in the tire shop and I was in a hurry. I think he said he either lost one of the twins or a couple . I'm sorry I didn't pay more attention . I will ask him when I see him again.

Latest posts