Life Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hallow of his hand?
Who has wrapped the waters in his garment?
Who has established all the extremities of the earth?
What is his name or his son's name, if you know it?

Nothing will affect your life more than your final answer.
What you can see and touch is temporary.
What touches you is forever.

Credit cards are safer at the fuel pump than a debit card, I never use my debit card. But I run 10-20k on my credit card every month and pay it off monthly. Just need to talk my wife onto an airplane and burn up some air miles.
I agree, had numbers skimmed before and card company caught it. I wasn't out anything but with a debit card you can have your funds tied up for a little while, depending on how much you have in there you could have overdraft fees. We buy just about everything with a credit card and pay it off every month, even most of utilities. We get at least 1% cash back some types of purchase are more. It isn't a lot but helps some and out bank account has less risks. Only places I write a check of use much cash is places that charge credit charge fees, out feed mills charges 4% so they are cash or check for us.

What is the best advice you would give a younger generation? Looking back on life, things you may wish you did or things you did that was good.
Save early on in life, I didn't realize the importance of it. Going to pay for it in 10 years or so.

Tried that and seemed every time I bought gas it was get in line behind the lottery, beer, gas, cigarette buying people and the wait was long. Cash is best just inconvenient.

I like Kroger doesn't seem to have all that. All depends on which gas station you choose how popular they are as well and time of day. We used to have a gas station that still pumped your gas it went out of business a few years back.

I would urge everyone to use a credit card responsibly
if for no other reason than to maintain a healthy credit score.

Can you explain why you need a good credit score? I know it can affect your car insurance rates as well loans. If you don't borrow money, don't have bad credit, what's the point. Seems like another way the government tracks people along with credit cards. Why would I need a good credit score if I don't borrow money?

The places that only take credit card which alot of hotels are starting to do credit card only, parking garages, some restaurants, I'm like this....🙋🏽‍♀️ I'm not even understanding how a place gets by without taking cash.

In my personal opinion if you spend cash, cash in hand, bills, you more than likely to spend less than swiping a credit or bank card. If I have a bill ($100) I'm not going to break it for $5 or 10 bucks. Now I'd swipe no problem. So I'm going to avoid spending that 1 bill for x amount cause I'm not willing to break it. Am I wrong? If I watch my money leaving my hands like dang thats alot of money versus swipe swipe swipe or money transfers. Just all looks like numbers. It's another government scam to get you to spend more and not realize it. I believe one day actually money will be gone it will all go to digital swiping.

Hey excellent advice ya'll! ❤💯

When I was 17 had a man tell me to put all the change I had in my pocket at the end of the day into a container and do not put it back in my pocket again. He said if you have to break a bill you'll be less likely to spend money for small things like cigarettes, candy, pop, etc. Then when you break a bill you are more likely to spend on things you don't need.

It's a simple way to make one aware of money and where it's spent, and learn to save.

Not changing my options on a Chevy. I will agree to disagree. 😁
We have 100 Chevy never had any problems. We love them!! Old chevys new chevys rust chevys shiny chevys dirty chevys clean chevys chevys all chevys are good chevys.
Okay my grandpa drove a Chevys, my dad drove chevys, my Gma drove chevys, my mom drive chevys, my brother's drive Chevys, my brother in laws drive Chevys, my sister in laws drive chevys, my cousins drive Chevys, my uncles drive Chevys, my aunts drive Chevys, I drive Chevys, my husband drive chevys (if he didn't I wouldn't have married him 😝) my children most like will drive chevys, my cows named Chevy. 😆

If you drive a Ford come visit you part it on the creek or down the road. 😁🤡

When I was 17 had a man tell me to put all the change I had in my pocket at the end of the day into a container and do not put it back in my pocket again. He said if you have to break a bill you'll be less likely to spend money for small things like cigarettes, candy, pop, etc. Then when you break a bill you are more likely to spend on things you don't need.

It's a simple way to make one aware of money and where it's spent, and learn to save.

Did you save all your change? We do that for our children saving account and keep every $10 for their savings.
My brother tells me that I'm just saving money for them to be brats. Hopefully it will go for college, house, or land.
I would like to move it from a saving account to something that makes a little money. Not sure what.

If my wife would have gotten a credit card a while ago, our credit score would be top notch. But instead it's just under top notch. She has never had any issues paying bills on time. A higher credit score would have gotten us a better interest rate when we just refinanced.

I'm just 30, but my advice would be to only go to college if you know what you want to do. Too many people go just because that's the "best" thing to do. College for some is just an all inclusive vacation that lasts 4-5 years. There are plenty of good trades that pay better than a marketing major that gets a sales job. I went to college and got a good, useful degree, but now I wish I would've just worked for a few years while I figured out where my passion was.

Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered up the wind in the hallow of his hand?
Who has wrapped the waters in his garment?
Who has established all the extremities of the earth?
What is his name or his son's name, if you know it?

Nothing will affect your life more than your final answer.
What you can see and touch is temporary.
What touches you is forever.

Amen!

Can you explain why you need a good credit score? I know it can affect your car insurance rates as well loans. If you don't borrow money, don't have bad credit, what's the point. Seems like another way the government tracks people along with credit cards. Why would I need a good credit score if I don't borrow money?

I know people who use a credit card just to keeps good credit score. I figure if you don't borrow money, it doesn't matter, and if you do borrow money and make your payments on time, I assume that gives a good credit score. I have no idea what my credit score is and have never done anything just hoping to build a good credit score.

One side note, I buy houses to flip and I deal with utility companies all over the state of Tennessee. A few of them have me in the system so I can get the service activated pretty easily. The ones who don't know me ask for permission to do a "soft" credit inquiry. Luckily I maintain an excellent score which saves me having to put down deposits that at times are as high as $300-$400 to guarantee repayment.

I expect having to put down that kind of deposit would strain the budget of lots of folks particularly with all the other costs associated with making a move.

Something else to consider with a credit card: many of them offer incentives. I use a credit card for most every purchase and get anywhere from 1% - 5% "bonus". When enough bonus points are accumulated, I have that amount applied back to the credit card. If you redeem your bonus points as gift certificates or actual cash back, it's considered income and must be reflected on your taxes. Instead, I average $1200 a year in "free" money. Never revolve your balance, pay on time and only have cards without an annual fee. And absolutely, it will increase your credit score. It's a win-win!

I was told this by a very wealhy man many years ago and I still give it out as advice to young people. "Save 10 cents of every dollar you earn, and you will retire a wealthy person."
And start early. I remember hearing a tale of two brothers. John started saving $100 a month when he was 25 years old. He was only able to contribute for ten years, but left the money invested and never withdrew until he was 65. Twin brother Jim saw that his brother was starting to accumulate some savings and decided that he should start saving as well. Jim started saving $100 dollars a month when he was 35 years old and continued that $100 dollar investment until he was 65 - thirty years of contributions. Who had the most money when they retired? The guy that started 10 years earlier and contributed for only 10 years ends up with more money.

And start early. I remember hearing a tale of two brothers. John started saving $100 a month when he was 25 years old. He was only able to contribute for ten years, but left the money invested and never withdrew until he was 65. Twin brother Jim saw that his brother was starting to accumulate some savings and decided that he should start saving as well. Jim started saving $100 dollars a month when he was 35 years old and continued that $100 dollar investment until he was 65 - thirty years of contributions. Who had the most money when they retired? The guy that started 10 years earlier and contributed for only 10 years ends up with more money.
Hence the phrase "double up to catch up".

Before you pick a major when going to college, open the want adds (online now) and see how many jobs are looking for that major as a requirement. Colleges will gladly take you money and give you a diploma for basket weaving theory, but it's up to you to try making a living out of it.

One side note, I buy houses to flip and I deal with utility companies all over the state of Tennessee. A few of them have me in the system so I can get the service activated pretty easily. The ones who don't know me ask for permission to do a "soft" credit inquiry. Luckily I maintain an excellent score which saves me having to put down deposits that at times are as high as $300-$400 to guarantee repayment.

I expect having to put down that kind of deposit would strain the budget of lots of folks particularly with all the other costs associated with making a move.
Something else to consider with a credit card: many of them offer incentives. I use a credit card for most every purchase and get anywhere from 1% - 5% "bonus". When enough bonus points are accumulated, I have that amount applied back to the credit card. If you redeem your bonus points as gift certificates or actual cash back, it's considered income and must be reflected on your taxes. Instead, I average $1200 a year in "free" money. Never revolve your balance, pay on time and only have cards without an annual fee. And absolutely, it will increase your credit score. It's a win-win!
I can't imagine trying to run a business without credit. Well I can cause I've been there. But you can't do it right. Having what you need when you need it is essential. . Not having available funds can cause missed opportunity and the inability to run things properly. A piece of equipment can usually pay it's payment's , insurance and interest (if there is any) in a day and half of work. A good relationship with your bank and a line of credit is essential when you need funds quickly..you just need to try really hard to replace them quickly.

As far as points....we average 400.00 per month in credit card points. Mostly with other people's money. Depending how you look at i guess.

Other benefits of credit cards is security, and record keeping.

Latest posts