Lie, cheat and steal: high school ethics surveyed

Help Support CattleToday:

We have to make it easier for kids to do the right thing ?? I think we need to make them aware that if they do the wrong thing, they are likely to get their a$$es busted. Unfortunately, thanks to CPS, PETA, and the Human Society, this is no longer possible.

There should be consequences for doing the wrong thing, whatever it may be. This has become a thing of the past........

Jim62":2v2nox26 said:
We have to make it easier for kids to do the right thing ?? I think we need to make them aware that if they do the wrong thing, they are likely to get their a$$es busted. Unfortunately, thanks to CPS, PETA, and the Human Society, this is no longer possible.

There should be consequences for doing the wrong thing, whatever it may be. This has become a thing of the past........

Obviously there are consequences for doing the wrong thing. The prison population in the US is one of the largest the world. More than 1 in 100 American adults is behind bars.

http://www.physorg.com/news126279826.html

Frankie":2l0e0m5e said:
Jim62":2l0e0m5e said:

Obviously there are consequences for doing the wrong thing. The prison population in the US is one of the largest the world. More than 1 in 100 American adults is behind bars.

Proper a$$ busting at an early age might just prevent them from being busted a$$es in prision.

I had a teacher tell me spelling is not important as they now have spell checkers and that math was not important as they has calculators.

She figured self esteem was the most important thing a student could learn in school.

And no, I am not kidding

With teachers like that becoming popular and parents not demanding morals and ethics of their kids we have a problem - a problem on both sides of the street and it means the chickens will come home to roost - perhaps sooner than later.

Bez+

Frankie":3jynlsyg said:
Jim62":3jynlsyg said:

Frankie 30% of them admitted to stealing. 29% more of our population needs to be headed to prison or our justice system isn't just.

Look at the role models the media has "made" for the younger generation..

Where are the days when you would never ever do anything that would disappoint those that love you especially your parents???
My parents would rather I would have come home with an F than cheat to get an A. I think the responsibility lies on all of us as to why this has progressed this badly, maybe we should have put our "foot" down a lot sooner to all this "touchy feely" bullsh#t...

I personally think that much of it comes from kids just following the direction they are getting from the business/political world anymore- anything is acceptable to make a fast buck as long as you don't get caught...
More of the Walmarting of America....
In years back a business name and reputation meant everything- now Corporate giants are putting out low quality or even products they know are defective- and do nothing until caught- then hire a cadre of attorneys to find a loophole so they can get out of trouble or keep doing it- or grease the palm of some lawmaker to change the law.... Anything to make the almighty dollar...

You see it with the current dealings on Wall Street- on the corporations importing the Chinese tainted foods and pet products- you see it with the insurance companies that use the small print on page 395 of the policy to get their attornies to back out of their coverage- etc., etc....
You can't expect kids to learn honesty, morals, character when they see so many around them trying to get rich by lying, cheating, slipping thru loopholes and using grey areas....

Oldtimer":3n0um6lp said:
I personally think that much of it comes from kids just following the direction they are getting from the business/political world anymore- anything is acceptable to make a fast buck as long as you don't get caught...

Our schools do a pretty good job of teaching this through the sports program. While the rules clearly state that you cannot begin practice until such and such a date the coaches teach the children to cheat by having "voluntary pracitices". Of course, if the child choses to work rather than "voluntarily attend practice" he will not get to play. That is of course, unless he is just an incredible player then the coaches will bend their own rules for this exception. Just one example of how these "grey areas" creep into the children's heads. Then we wonder WHY?

The problem is not the teachers or the schools. The problem is parents blaming the teachers and the schools.

angie":8j86j61h said:
The problem is not the teachers or the schools. The problem is parents blaming the teachers and the schools.

So the parents are the one's that came up with the voluntary practices?!? If so, nobody told me about it. :???:

Jogeephus":1i403d2h said:
So the parents are the one's that came up with the voluntary practices?!? If so, nobody told me about it. :???:
You think that parents have no control over this? You think they are not looking the other way and sanctioning this practice? Ethics, responsibility, integrity etc..(whether or not the child has them) ~ these things come from home IMO.

Bez+":2fqe38ja said:
I had a teacher tell me spelling is not important as they now have spell checkers and that math was not important as they has calculators.

She figured self esteem was the most important thing a student could learn in school.

And no, I am not kidding

With teachers like that becoming popular and parents not demanding morals and ethics of their kids we have a problem - a problem on both sides of the street and it means the chickens will come home to roost - perhaps sooner than later.

Bez+

Ain't THAT the truth! These idiots (teachers, parents, kids) don't seem to realize that one needs to Read, Write, Spell, and Calculate MANUALLY (with the brain)...it is possible that the electricity will go off, batteries will go dead, and the satellites will malfunction or crash. And, on another note, I heard on news that some 30%+ of kids nowdays are very susceptible to diabetes, heart problems, and other maladies due to their lack of exercise, sitting on their A$$, and gorging themselves with high fat, carbohydrate, and calorie foods? and snacks... This may solve some of the over-population problem 25 to 50 years from now! Git-Er-Done!

Oldtimer":18yk2pe8 said:
More of the Walmarting of America....
In years back a business name and reputation meant everything- now Corporate giants are putting out low quality or even products they know are defective- and do nothing until caught- then hire a cadre of attorneys to find a loophole so they can get out of trouble or keep doing it- or grease the palm of some lawmaker to change the law.... Anything to make the almighty dollar...

You see it with the current dealings on Wall Street- on the corporations importing the Chinese tainted foods and pet products- you see it with the insurance companies that use the small print on page 395 of the policy to get their attornies to back out of their coverage- etc., etc....
You can't expect kids to learn honesty, morals, character when they see so many around them trying to get rich by lying, cheating, slipping thru loopholes and using grey areas....
If you don't know where kids learn honesty, morality , and character then you are part of the problem. I've never in my life heard of a kid that credited his high moral standard (or low one) to a CEO or a politician. A friend of my kid is in college and her ethics professor on the first day of school started the class by saying in "her" ethics class there would be no mention of God. If you mention God, then she said you have to prove that God exists and that the God to which you refer is the One True God and not an impostor. That effectively eliminates any morality. You can't have morality without a moral code and you can't have a moral code without a moral code giver that is perfect , otherwise the moral code could be flawed. Situational ethics will always give you situationaly ethical people. The problem is that our society is moving from a Christian moral code to a moral code based on nothing. Lock the thread if you want. It's still true.

angie":1msdsk8l said:

I can't tell you how often a kid will break the rules at the school where I work and parents will come in the next day fighting mad at the school for having the audacity to punish their darling. Especially with cell phones. There is one parent I swear the principal is afraid of. He won't punish the kid because he's afraid of the mother, and as a result, the kid just does what he pleases. Take up a cell phone? Parent is there the next day demanding it back, and no, we won't be paying a fine for it. Even though the rules are very clearly spelled out. It kills me.

Cheating is bad in college, too. Cells and laptops are good tools for cheating and those kids are good at it. I know there are all kinds of kids at my school that take pride in their ability to cheat and steal without consequence.

angie":c0sigc7y said:
The problem is that everyone wants to point the finger. We as a society are to blame. When we see some kid doing something wrong do we stop and correct them or do we ignore them because we don't want to get involved. Do we check out our own children's stories or do we find it easier to trust them. When someone tells you your child did something wrong and your child has a different story who do you believe?
How about this one. How ethical do you think it is for us in the cattle business to breed cattle black to fool people into thinking it is angus or part angus? How ethical is it to advertise a brand of beef that does not have to be with the name says it is. Then we have the gal to wounder why our kids don,t have ethics. Or how about something as simple as trimming a show calf to look like something it is not.

We as a society have caused this problem. There is no specific place we can point the finger.

novatech":2h9dg13s said:
angie":2h9dg13s said:
The problem is that everyone wants to point the finger. We as a society are to blame. When we see some kid doing something wrong do we stop and correct them or do we ignore them because we don't want to get involved. Do we check out our own children's stories or do we find it easier to trust them. When someone tells you your child did something wrong and your child has a different story who do you believe?
How about this one. How ethical do you think it is for us in the cattle business to breed cattle black to fool people into thinking it is angus or part angus? How ethical is it to advertise a brand of beef that does not have to be with the name says it is. Then we have the gal to wounder why our kids don,t have ethics. Or how about something as simple as trimming a show calf to look like something it is not.

We as a society have caused this problem. There is no specific place we can point the finger.

I would agree wholeheartedly with Angie. The school districts simply comply with the majority of parents. Parental involvement in the students daily activities would solve the problem but other life issues always seem to muddy up their energies and so they come to figure that the school district is a government sponsored baby sitter for them. BTW, the free market enterprise system has little to do with ethics in the student body.

ollie?":1x8m3n19 said:
You can't have morality without a moral code and you can't have a moral code without a moral code giver that is perfect , otherwise the moral code could be flawed. Situational ethics will always give you situationaly ethical people. The problem is that our society is moving from a Christian moral code to a moral code based on nothing. Lock the thread if you want. It's still true.

Ollie, I have atheist friends who have very strong morals, they are empathetic and very generous. They also are the first to volunteer when a situation arises..I also have acquaintances (cannot call them friends because things they do make me cringe) that are church going "Christians" they even go twice on Sundays. They lie, steal ,commit adultery, their children are thieves/criminals, one is in jail for kidnapping and assault...They look down on those that do not go to church ,but if I were them I would be ashamed to show my face anywhere because of how they conduct their lives.

Right and wrong decisions come from within, they are an imprint from the first day of life form those around us . Morals are taught and we are all responsible.

Society, media, parents especially, as well as new school regulations (no prayer, no spankings,etc...) all are to blame for the way kids behave nowdays. As my dear old aunt used to say " its the sign of the times".

hillsdown":3bz0hqhl said:
ollie?":3bz0hqhl said:
You can't have morality without a moral code and you can't have a moral code without a moral code giver that is perfect , otherwise the moral code could be flawed. Situational ethics will always give you situationaly ethical people. The problem is that our society is moving from a Christian moral code to a moral code based on nothing. Lock the thread if you want. It's still true.

Ollie, I have atheist friends who have very strong morals, they are empathetic and very generous. They also are the first to volunteer when a situation arises..I also have acquaintances (cannot call them friends because things they do make me cringe) that are church going "Christians" they even go twice on Sundays. They lie, steal ,commit adultery, their children are thieves/criminals, one is in jail for kidnapping and assault...They look down on those that do not go to church ,but if I were them I would be ashamed to show my face anywhere because of how they conduct their lives.

Right and wrong decisions come from within, they are an imprint from the first day of life form those around us . Morals are taught and we are all responsible.
I agree completely and know the same kind of people but honestly I know more sorry people that aren't Christian. Regardless though the point I was making wasn't that individually there are less Christians but rather that we as a society in the last hundred years and especially in the last 50 have left the moral code based on the Bible and adopted a moral code based on nothing but shifting sand. For example, you say you know some people who commit adultery, why is adultery wrong? Could it be that old "thou shalt not commit adultery" ?

Latest posts