Lids for Empty Protein Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone sells lids for the 200 lbs protein tubs. They sure would make excellent storage containers after the cows lick them clean.

Thank you.

Last year we had a guy post on CT looking for empty protein tubs to use a containers for seedlings. I responded that we had 25 or so he could have if he wanted them. Darned if he didn't drive from somewhere in Illinois to come and get them. Something like 8 hours one way.

I frequently see the tubs for sale at yard sales and flea markets. 5-$10 ea. Don't know what they are being used for but I know it's hard to ever get the odor completely out of them.
And as most of us already know, they often aren't as robust as they look. Collapse pretty easy if you set a heavy weigh on them....

A farm manager I know asked if someone he knew could pick up our old tubs. He said they were using them with disabled children doing different things. I said heck yea, he came and picked up all that would fit on a 20' trailer. Through someone else I was told that they were talking them to Colorado and selling them for $5 each to maryjane growers. I said well I guess he got me once.

A farm manager I know asked if someone he knew could pick up our old tubs. He said they were using them with disabled children doing different things. I said heck yea, he came and picked up all that would fit on a 20' trailer. Through someone else I was told that they were talking them to Colorado and selling them for $5 each to maryjane growers. I said well I guess he got me once.
With holes drilled in the bottom they would work, wouldn't want to move them. Just saying!!

The tubs we buy come with lids. They come from Atwood's -a regional chain farm and ranch supply store. I guess a lot of their stores don't have enough covered storage, so they started getting them with lids. In the beginning they'd keep the lids and reuse them when you bought them, but for 2 or 3 years now, every tub has come with a lid. They are handy, we use some for short term feed storage, a few for other odds and ends.

I have heard that they don't necessarily fit on every 200# tub out there, though. Guess they can vary quire a bit.

I neverbought a protein tub, in 60 yrs of having cattle, but I've gotten a few empty tubs, and they've been pretty doggone handy for mixing potting mix for tree seedlings, etc. Can see that theyd be great for doing a mass planting of pecans/acorns, etc., to transplant or pot-up in year Two.
Have used 'em as small water tanks in the barnlot.
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few more.

No lids on our tubs. We even have to pay a deposit to the CoOp, which is credited when you bring them back. But they're metal tubs that they clean out, knock out the bumps, re-paint & reuse.

I neverbought a protein tub, in 60 yrs of having cattle, but I've gotten a few empty tubs, and they've been pretty doggone handy for mixing potting mix for tree seedlings, etc. Can see that theyd be great for doing a mass planting of pecans/acorns, etc., to transplant or pot-up in year Two.
Have used 'em as small water tanks in the barnlot.
Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few more.
Check your local Craig's List or facebook marketplace. They are always some to be found, usually $2-5 around here if you have to buy them!

Latest posts