lick tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

eatbeef

Reaction score
What are your opinions on lick tubs and when do you use them.....after weaning, before calving.... calf at side...... :?:

DD RANCH

Reaction score
Never use them they are an added exspence that does'nt pencil out.If you have good feed stuffs and a mineral program don't worry about them.I tried then once during calveing put 2 250# barrels out on sat morning by wend. morning they were empty that was with 60 cows.At $60 each that figured out to 50c a day.I spend that money on Alfalfa even at 120 a ton on 60 head they would get 5#s a day for 7 days that is a better deal.

The thing with feed suppliers is they will promote what has the largest profit margin not careing about your profits just their's.

aztumbleweed

Reaction score
We use the tubs 1000 pounders to get cows to eat dry feed and have been real happy with them. They have a purpose probably more cost effective for bigger operators. :D

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
aztumbleweed":afptjnk4 said:
We use the tubs 1000 pounders to get cows to eat dry feed and have been real happy with them. They have a purpose probably more cost effective for bigger operators. :D
I agree. After the tubs have been out awhile they will slow the intake down. Went through the first 2 fast but now they last about 2 months. Helps to make them eat what there is to eat left in the pasture. Have not had to put out any hay yet. :cboy:

OP
E

eatbeef

Reaction score
We use them... a couple weeks before calving and right after weaning....seems to shine em up after weaning and gives them a little extra for calving and get them ready to breed. Maybe coincidence but1 cow out of 110 open this fall. Had 3 open last year. We buy 40 dollar tubs or go for the liquid